No announcement yet.

Common Mistakes made by Fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Mistakes made by Fighters

Pick apart what your favorite/not favorite fighters did Wrong.
    I'll start with some of the most talented men in history.

Muhammad Ali: He held his hands at the waist and screwed around with his opponents too much. He also pulled straight back from punches which is a very amateurish thing to do. Vitali Klitschko is also guilty of pulling his head back, but lacks Ali's speed to get away with it more often.

Young Foreman and Tyson did not pace them selves well in a fight and gassed out early, Tyson around 5th or 6th, Foreman around 7th or 8th.

Frazier should have used his right more often and needed to jab more.

When Holmes stopped Clinching Tyson on the inside is when he began to get Knocked Down and the KOed.

I'm not saying that these guys are bad fighters, just some things that were holes in their styles.

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
    Pick apart what your favorite/not favorite fighters did Wrong.
    I'll start with some of the most talented men in history.

Muhammad Ali: He held his hands at the waist and screwed around with his opponents too much. He also pulled straight back from punches which is a very amateurish thing to do. Vitali Klitschko is also guilty of pulling his head back, but lacks Ali's speed to get away with it more often.

Young Foreman and Tyson did not pace them selves well in a fight and gassed out early, Tyson around 5th or 6th, Foreman around 7th or 8th.

Frazier should have used his right more often and needed to jab more.

When Holmes stopped Clinching Tyson on the inside is when he began to get Knocked Down and the KOed.

I'm not saying that these guys are bad fighters, just some things that were holes in their styles.
    Which Tyson are you talking about there? Prime Tyson only had problem the first time he went 10rounds but that is the same with many fighters who go there first 10 rounds. With Mitch Green he didnt have a problem, Ribalta, Tucker?

I agree with Frazier... Holmes was never winnning the fight before that. I agree with Ali, Klit and Foreman. However that was Alis thing you know lol

Pacquiao doesnt move his head enough

Comment

micky ward didn't throw enough left hooks to the body.

Comment

If Ali had held his hands high it would have negatively impacted his offense. Hands at the waist is the best position from an offensive standpoint for a straight headhunter like Ali as the shots come faster and are harder to see. I wouldn't consider it a mistake, more like a conscious trade-off.

Comment

Cotto has no defense against good pressure fighters. He don't know how to clinch.

Kirkland is wild. Gets reckless when he's throwing those bombs. If he doesn't comedown the right boxer with a good chin will make him pay.

But I still love em!

Floyd isn't active enough to beat any of the old all time great fighters. Pernell, Both Sugar Ray's, and more I think could out box him just by staying on the outside since their bigger with most likely a higher reach, and could probably just beat him by being more active with the jab. Even though I understand if Floyd opened up more he probably wouldn't be as effective. Whatever works for ya work. But if he wants to beat the all time greats he needs to learn how to adjust if that pot shotting don't work.

Comment

The most common mistake I've seen lately is when good fighters with good jabs,stop jabbing!!For instance Oscar vs Floyd,Oscar had some success,but stopped firing altogether!!Cotto vs Pacman,Cotto controlled rounds 1 & 2,then put away the jab & hid it like he was afraid it was going to get lost or something!!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkTerror88 View Post
              That annoyed me too from Ali, if it weren't for his playing around he could've ended a few fights earlier, particularly Foster and Patterson.

It almost always works for Viali though. He has an extra 4-5 inches over Ali (moreso on most opponents) that lets him get away with it even being slower.

Comment

Originally posted by Di Bushbaby View Post
                The most common mistake I've seen lately is when good fighters with good jabs,stop jabbing!!For instance Oscar vs Floyd,Oscar had some success,but stopped firing altogether!!Cotto vs Pacman,Cotto controlled rounds 1 & 2,then put away the jab & hid it like he was afraid it was going to get lost or something!!
                That happens when your afraid of what's coming back.

Even if you've had success with it earlier, if you throw your jab and you start getting countered by your opponent it's going to make you more tentative to let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
                  That happens when your afraid of what's coming back.

Even if you've had success with it earlier, if you throw your jab and you start getting countered by your opponent it's going to make you more tentative to let it go.
                  I won't name any one fighter in particular, but to many top fighters still drop their right when jabbing. It's something I see very frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    I won't name any one fighter in particular, but to many top fighters still drop their right when jabbing. It's something I see very frequently.
                    Very True, i see more pros do it then the amateurs in the gym. xD

Comment

Working...
                    X