Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

References of the hardest hitter of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• References of the hardest hitter of all time?

Does anyone know who Holmes, Norton, Lyle, and Ali said hit the the hardest?

I hear that Norton and Holmes said it was Cooney, and Ali and Lyle said Shavers.

Does anyone have any proof of their statements whatever they were? Any interviews?

It must be either Cooney or Shavers, It simply must be!

Jersy Joe Walcott and Joe Louis both said Rocky Marciano hit them the hardest. Marciano is undoubtily the P4P most powerful puncher in history, keep in mind he only weighed 187lbs.

Comment

180 would be better to say, He usually was at 180 anyway!

Yes Rocky was deffinently P4P the hardest hitter of all time, but who was the overall hardest hitter? I have a tie between Gerry Cooney and Earnie Shavers...

Comment

What about Archie Moore, Jack Dempsey, George Foreman? Im going to go with Foreman.

Shavers may be #2.

Comment

Originally posted by XionComrade
          Does anyone know who Holmes, Norton, Lyle, and Ali said hit the the hardest?

I hear that Norton and Holmes said it was Cooney, and Ali and Lyle said Shavers.

Does anyone have any proof of their statements whatever they were? Any interviews?

It must be either Cooney or Shavers, It simply must be!
          Check out the Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine and you'll see some quotes from the likes of Ron Lyle, Ken Norton, and Jimmy Young stating that Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher that they ever faced...which includes both George Foreman and Gerry Cooney.

I've posted those quotes on a couple of occasions in the past.
          Last edited by Yogi; 04-12-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
            Check out the Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine and you'll see some quotes from the likes of Ron Lyle, Ken Norton, and Jimmy Young stating that Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher that they ever faced...which includes both George Foreman and Gerry Cooney.

I've posted those quotes on a couple of occasions in the past.
            I remember reading a quote from Lyle after the Cooney fight where Lyle said no one had hit him that hard not even Foreman. He apparently said this in his dressing room while getting his ribs taped.

Comment

Originally posted by SABBATH
              I remember reading a quote from Lyle after the Cooney fight where Lyle said no one had hit him that hard not even Foreman. He apparently said this in his dressing room while getting his ribs taped.
              "Shavers hit me so hard it felt like needles were jabbing the back of my head. Without hesitation, Shavers was the hardest puncher I met." - Ron Lyle (Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine)

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
                "Shavers hit me so hard it felt like needles were jabbing the back of my head. Without hesitation, Shavers was the hardest puncher I met." - Ron Lyle (Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine)
                I'm not doubting he said that at a later date. Just in the dressing room immediately after Cooney seperated his ribs he said nobody hit him harder.

Comment

Ali had two selections as well. He said once that Shavers hit hardest; and in one of his biographies (King of the World, I think...a little help here), he said that George Foreman was the hardest hitter he faced, with Liston being the scariest, and Frazier brought out the best in him. He also mentioned something about Patterson being the most skilled fighter he ever faced, but the original topic was about hardest hitter, so blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Hous
                    What about Archie Moore, Jack Dempsey, George Foreman? Im going to go with Foreman.

Shavers may be #2.

It certainly wasn't any of those guys...lol!

Foreman is ranked in the top 10 or so, but not in the top 5 for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X