Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Wilder Receive Help Last Night From Officials?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
    wilder was completely clear and ready to go at the end of the round...yet the commission felt the need.....
    /thread.......

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
      No, I don't think it's hating to ask the questions. You're asking in good faith. Your history has clearly shown you're not a hater or a troll.

You would have to ask the commission of why they have the doctor check the fighter at the start of the round. I don't know their stated reason, I just know that's how they do things because I've seen it several times since the lawsuit settlement.

But it's not just the doctor at the start of the round, it's also the ref after a knockdown. In New York, you get so much extra time now after a knockdown. There was an Ortiz knockdown last night where he got up at nine and then the ref spent nine full seconds asking if he was okay before allowing Wilder to try to follow up.

You can look at the clock and see that over 20 seconds went by between Ortiz goines down and Wilder being allowed to follow up.

That's just how New York is now. You get the extra time after the knockdowns and you have the doctor sometimes asking to check a fighter at the beginning of a round.

Now, in terms of why the doctor checks at the beginning of the round, I can give you my best guess as to why that is, but you'd really have to contact the commission to get their official answer. They may feel it would be unfair to the fighter to interfere with the corner's opportunity to hydrate their fighter, give instructions, work on cuts, give the fighter a chance to sit down and rest, etc. The doctor wants to inspect the fighter standing up with nobody interfering so he can get a good look into his eyes, etc and that fighter would be at a serious disadvantage if he had to stand while the doctor ate up his recovery time, ate up his corners instruction time, ate up the cutman's time, ate up his rehydration time, etc.
      I respect posts like this because it’s a discussion about boxing, nothing wrong with that, and yes Ortiz should have been counted out too after the first KD in the 10th round, not sure how the ref didn’t count to 10 in that instance. I definitely counted up to 10, and yes he seem to give Ortiz added time also.. so maybe it is a NYC thing like I was told a few days ago after the fight. And like I pointed out on that day, I don’t mind the extra caution if it saves a fighters life.

Comment

They "remembered" to check him just as the round began. Definitely fishy. But then again Wilder decked Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          Now, in terms of why the doctor checks at the beginning of the round, I can give you my best guess as to why that is, but you'd really have to contact the commission to get their official answer. They may feel it would be unfair to the fighter to interfere with the corner's opportunity to hydrate their fighter, give instructions, work on cuts, give the fighter a chance to sit down and rest, etc. The doctor wants to inspect the fighter standing up with nobody interfering so he can get a good look into his eyes, etc and that fighter would be at a serious disadvantage if he had to stand while the doctor ate up his recovery time, ate up his corners instruction time, ate up the cutman's time, ate up his rehydration time, etc.
          Sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
            They "remembered" to check him just as the round began. Definitely fishy. But then again Wilder decked Ortiz.
            Have you watched a lot of boxing in New York since the $22 million lawsuit settlement? Checking the fighter at the beginning of the round is how NY does things now.

The other change I've noticed is asking the fighter a million times if they're okay after a knockdown. Which is why Ortiz was given so much time. It was a full 20 seconds between him going down and Wilder being allowed to follow up.

Comment

Ortiz also needed time to recover. He "hurt" himself more than he injured Wilder in the 7th, so this pause was useful for both.

Comment

"conspiracy theories" like this are ridiculous. I've seen this happen so often in fights everywhere now, UK, Germany, US, I don't even pay no mind anymore. You really think a guy gets an extra 20 seconds while a doctor checks his eyes is somehow giving him an extended recovery time?? Have you ever been hit with multiple punches in the face??. 20 seconds ain't s***. How about some respect for making sure these guys don't suffer life-ending injuries at the expense of your entertainment.

Comment

Working...
                X