Collapse
No announcement yet.

Define common boxing terms / words such as bums, journeymen and etc

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holyfield featherfisted? I hope your trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by DownSoufHustla View Post
      Holyfield featherfisted? I hope your trolling.
      Evander Holyfield's knockout percentage at heavyweight is only 38%. That's a fact! Ergo, according to my definition (when a boxer has a knockout percentage less than 50%), such a boxer will be classified as a 'feather fist'.

I hope you're logical thinking capacity is enough to understand basic arithmetic.

Comment

bum - a boxer that loses to a fighter that you dislike but when the "bum" in question faces a fighter you do like they're no longer bums. (Ex. when ggg beat lemeiux, lemmie was a bum. when BJS beat lemeiux, BJS is elite. Ex. #2. pacquiao beat algieri who was a bum. spence bets algieri and its his best win. Ex#3. floyd beats oscar who is over the hill and "old". pacquiao beats a worst version of oscar and its a miracle). bum is a term used to push an agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
          What about TBE ? A Duck ? IV Cleanse ?
          Good suggestions! I'm going to update the list of terms and definitions but I'm only focusing on the most common definitions and terms like 'duck' which you just reminded me of. The others aren't as common or popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Objecitivity View Post
            Evander Holyfield's knockout percentage at heavyweight is only 38%. That's a fact! Ergo, according to my definition (when a boxer has a knockout percentage less than 50%), such a boxer will be classified as a 'feather fist'.

I hope you're logical thinking capacity is enough to understand basic arithmetic.
            most fighters rack up a high knockout percentage early in their career when they are fighting bums until they step up to world level, once they step up to world level their ko percentage goes down drastically. holyfield was already a world class fighter at cruiser so when he moved up to heavyweight he didnt have that easy bum period to rack up a bunch of ko's.

numbers don't always tell the whole story. holyfield fought one of the top guys in the division in his third fight there, fought douglas for the linear championship in his 7th. both wins by ko. a guy like wilder had 30 fights of complete bums before fighting anyone halfway decent and hes still yet to ko a top 10 fighter yet if we look at his ko percentage wow amazing!

if holyfield had 30 fights against light competition before fighting anyone good his ko percentage would be much higher percent but that doesnt change his actual power level at all. not saying he was a huge puncher but this isnt an accurate analysis. a better gauge would be how many top 10 fighters did he ko or what was his ko rate against top 10 opponents
            Last edited by daggum; 01-24-2018, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Bum = Mayweather Jr
              Journeyman = Pacquiao

..seems to sum up this board pretty well..

Comment

after an arbitrary number of defenses a guy suddenly becomes lineal champion? Do you know what lineage means?

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
                  Prospect: Someone who hasnt beaten a gatekeeper/fringe contender yet, but looks good so far. Doesnt have to have a minimum amount of fights. Olympic guys are always right away hot prospects without even fighting yet.

Bum: Doesnt provide any challenges, only there to pad your KO-record. Goes down as soon as it gets heated.

journeyman: Can give you rounds, due to being tough or elusive enough, but cant win rounds, due to poor offense and most of the time no power.

Gatekeeper: Loses against top20 fighters, but has enough tools (experience, toughness, defense) to test young and upcoming prospects and beats the prospects who doesnt have it.

Fringe contender: Someone who hasnt beaten a top10 contender yet, but already passed the test against a gatekeeper/top 20 or often an aging ex-champ. (Josh Taylor)

Contender: Someone who has beaten a top10 ranked fighter. Guys who just get in the top10 by default are not contenders.

You are fixating too much on numbers.

I'm 'fixating' on numbers because numbers makes something specific enough to the point where there remains no vagueness or questions required to be asked out of non-clarity.

There is a difference between telling someone to walk left and walk left 1 mile when giving them directions. Merely telling someone to walk left leaves unanswered questions about things that aren't clear and specific. Numbers makes something measurable and verifiable for one to use to determine accurately whether a particular definition is fulfilled. Whilst vague definitions such as:

- Journeyman: Can give you rounds, due to being tough or elusive enough, but cant win rounds, due to poor offense and most of the time no power.

Begs the question: what does it mean to be 'tough' and how 'tough' does that boxer have to be and how do we determine if they possess a specific level of toughness?

There exists this same problem of lack of clarity in your first definition of the first term 'bum'. There isn't a way to accurately determine whether a boxer is a 'bum' or not based on your definition because it isn't specific enough due to not providing sufficient details such as how a 'challenge' is defined and if that boxer will still be a bum if they provide a challenge to every other top 10 ranked boxer except one boxer due to that one boxer being so good that they stand out from even other top 10 ranked boxers.

Comment

BUM - Any fighter not in the upper echelon of their division...

...That's what i've learnt from reading NSB anyway.

I think we should differentiate between 'avoid' and 'duck'

Many fighters avoid each other for varying reasons - most not because they are scared of their opponent.

We should reserve 'duck' for when a fighter CLEARLY skips an anticipated fight. For example if a fighter relinquishes a world title when he has a tough/certain mandatory challenger.

It does get complicated with certain fighters that barely bring a dollar to the table, yet they are world class fighters. It's risk vs reward. Fighters will take the risk if the reward is there..
                    I suppose... technically, a duck is still a duck.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                      after an arbitrary number of defenses a guy suddenly becomes lineal champion? Do you know what lineage means?
                      Well then provide your definition and then we can hold them up to a specific level of scrutiny. It's a sign of a coward who criticizes someone else's work without providing their own at all. It's easy to criticize someone else for provoding some information without you doing it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X