Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to forum Rediscovering my love for boxing and it's rich history - RTGSports

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum Rediscovering my love for boxing and it's rich history - RTGSports

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

When I graduated college about 14 years ago, as a gift my Father and I went on a Hall of Fame Road Trip. We hit the football, baseball, and the boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York. The year I went both Gene Fullmer and Carmen Basilio were in attendance, and I had the pleasure to meet them as well as others such as Ken Norton, Sr., Emile Griffith, and so many others at it’s induction weekend. This was really my first history lesson in the sport of boxing.

As the years passed I distanced myself from my love of sports as I became a professional and could not continue my hobby of learning about the history of sports including boxing. As we all know though, the internet has improved so much that forums like this were developed to help share the knowledge of a sport like boxing to continue to live on forever through its history.

In December of 2017, I received a new camera for Christmas and that is when the wheels started turning again. I thought, What if I developed a Youtube page honoring sports legends in a wide variety of sports baseball, basketball, football, hockey, wrestling, and of course boxing.

One of the series I developed on my channel is a set of videos called “In Memoriam”. The “In Memoriam” videos are more or less a slideshow of the passings from their respective sports. In 2018 I posted (9) nine “In Memoriam” videos and in 2019 I decided to already post (11) “In Memoriam” videos including for the first time boxing. As a creator on youtube I try to set the bar a little higher each year with my content and I chose to focus on really getting a boxing video created to remember those who were lost.

The boxing video in particular took many hours to compile as I found a few roadblocks while producing it. Unlike sports like baseball, it was very difficult to find any images of the boxers. With nearly 200 deaths in boxing in 2018 I did my best to find images of the boxers during their boxing career, but commonly only could come up with “obituary” photos of the boxing personalities. Second, many of the boxers shown were from outside of the United States and it was difficult with a language barrier to read Japanese, Bulgarian, French, Spanish, etc. So I did my best with translating tools to try and track down an image of the boxing personality. In a handful of cases I found nothing to use or couldn't translate the language.

I wanted to join this forum to do three things:

1) Rekindle my love for boxing
    2) Share with everyone the research I have done in video form for everyone to enjoy.
    3) Possibly start/or contribute(if one already exists) to an obituary or death notice thread on the forum. This will only help me create future videos for “In Memoriam”

I didn’t want to post my video without saying anything and introducing myself above. I again apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

If you wish I will post the video in this thread or a separate thread or you can directly go to my channel by simply going to youtube and typing in my name “Remember The Greats Sports” or clicking below in my signature.

In closing thank you for accepting me to your forum and I look forward to being a part of this community and come join me as I try to "Remember The Greats" in boxing.

Sincerely,
    Remember The Greats Sports
    RTGSports
    Last edited by RTGSports; 01-18-2019, 09:17 AM.

Reserved for comments.

Comment

I should also mention I am collector of autographs and have a small collection of signatures that I have obtained throughout the years from boxers in person and through the mail (TTM) . My favorite probably was the opportunity to get Max Schmeling before he passed away in 2005.

Comment

Originally posted by RTGSports View Post
        I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

When I graduated college about 14 years ago, as a gift my Father and I went on a Hall of Fame Road Trip. We hit the football, baseball, and the boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, New York. The year I went both Gene Fullmer and Carmen Basilio were in attendance, and I had the pleasure to meet them as well as others such as Ken Norton, Sr., Emile Griffith, and so many others at it’s induction weekend. This was really my first history lesson in the sport of boxing.

As the years passed I distanced myself from my love of sports as I became a professional and could not continue my hobby of learning about the history of sports including boxing. As we all know though, the internet has improved so much that forums like this were developed to help share the knowledge of a sport like boxing to continue to live on forever through its history.

In December of 2017, I received a new camera for Christmas and that is when the wheels started turning again. I thought, What if I developed a Youtube page honoring sports legends in a wide variety of sports baseball, basketball, football, hockey, wrestling, and of course boxing.

One of the series I developed on my channel is a set of videos called “In Memoriam”. The “In Memoriam” videos are more or less a slideshow of the passings from their respective sports. In 2018 I posted (9) nine “In Memoriam” videos and in 2019 I decided to already post (11) “In Memoriam” videos including for the first time boxing. As a creator on youtube I try to set the bar a little higher each year with my content and I chose to focus on really getting a boxing video created to remember those who were lost.

The boxing video in particular took many hours to compile as I found a few roadblocks while producing it. Unlike sports like baseball, it was very difficult to find any images of the boxers. With nearly 200 deaths in boxing in 2018 I did my best to find images of the boxers during their boxing career, but commonly only could come up with “obituary” photos of the boxing personalities. Second, many of the boxers shown were from outside of the United States and it was difficult with a language barrier to read Japanese, Bulgarian, French, Spanish, etc. So I did my best with translating tools to try and track down an image of the boxing personality. In a handful of cases I found nothing to use or couldn't translate the language.

I wanted to join this forum to do three things:

1) Rekindle my love for boxing
        2) Share with everyone the research I have done in video form for everyone to enjoy.
        3) Possibly start/or contribute(if one already exists) to an obituary or death notice thread on the forum. This will only help me create future videos for “In Memoriam”

I didn’t want to post my video without saying anything and introducing myself above. I again apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

If you wish I will post the video in this thread or a separate thread or you can directly go to my channel by simply going to youtube and typing in my name “Remember The Greats Sports” or clicking below in my signature.

In closing thank you for accepting me to your forum and I look forward to being a part of this community and come join me as I try to "Remember The Greats" in boxing.

Sincerely,
        Remember The Greats Sports
        RTGSports
        Welcome to the forum brother, I once stumbled across the online mecca of boxing that is BoxingScene, and I've been here ever since. A truly beautiful and elegant sport of endearing and courageous figures.

I will make this thread for you in the history section, and sticky it, and will tag you in this thread. It's a fantastic idea and one I will ensure will endure. I am a moderator here, welcome to BoxingScene, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I hope you stick around.

~wraps

Comment

Loaded I tried to send a pm is that not permitted until a certain amount of posts?

Thanks for the welcome words.

Comment

Working...
          X