No announcement yet.

The Outlaw Jesse James (Hughes).

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Outlaw Jesse James (Hughes).

Anyone remember this fella? Almost 17 years since his death but it only feels recent (**** I am old).

For the uninitiated, he was a tough but limited journeyman/gatekeeper who suddenly went on a decent streak winning 4 of his last 5 - three of which were against prospects. One of these was US based Brit Adrian Stone - who himself was coming off a great win.

Then, less than 3 weeks after a good win, James turns up dead in a swamp near his home. The murder was never solved & rumours still swirl to this day.

Apparently one of his hobbies was robbing drug dealers. Another was he was a crack user & just got jumped. We'll never know.

Here's a good read about the circumstances around his death.

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Newman...51005Part1.htm

I remember alot about Hughes, watched him often and even have alot of his career on dvd. He was a tough guy. Started his career as a journeyman losing often, but turned his career around and was on the edge of a title shot when he was murdered. The final win streak of his life included wins over Anthony Stephens, Adrian Stone and Nick Rupa. All three of those guys he knocked out and they all went on to get title shots after he did it.
    But Hughes sadly was murdered before his shot came. The Stephens war was a great fight, Stephens had previously beat Harold Brazier and was the USBA welterweight champion. During the fight Hughes would knock Stephens down, Stephens would box his way back into the bout and Hughes would floor him again. Even though Hughes dropped him five times the bout was still competitive throughout til Hughes finished the back and forth battle in the final round with a dramatic knockout. Great stuff, the kind of stuff Hughes brought to the ring.

Comment

Hands down one of tthe most fun fighters ever. A guy who kept beating guys he shouldn't.....hanging in tough to land his big punches and showing excellent finishing skills.

Comment

Cheers Lads. He was a real character, something lacking in ours - and many other sports - today.

Comment

Holy ****...I thought i was the only one who remembered Hughes? Wow, this is the guy who turned me onto boxing when i was 12 or 13 years old. His heart and determination awed me, even as a young kid. The guy was a warrior, and had a chin of granite. Wow, thanks for bringing back memories. Good ol USA Tuesday Night Fights. Sean O' Grady commentating, miss them days.

Comment

I used to have the Stephens Stone fights on DVD. Anybody tell me where i can get these from? Any place online? I think mine got misplaced. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tennesseeboy View Post
              Holy ****...I thought i was the only one who remembered Hughes? Wow, this is the guy who turned me onto boxing when i was 12 or 13 years old. His heart and determination awed me, even as a young kid. The guy was a warrior, and had a chin of granite. Wow, thanks for bringing back memories. Good ol USA Tuesday Night Fights. Sean O' Grady commentating, miss them days.
              You're welcome. I was a fan of his all the way from London. Funnily enough, I moved to the US the following year.

But he was a real life Country Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                You're welcome. I was a fan of his all the way from London. Funnily enough, I moved to the US the following year.

But he was a real life Country Rocky
                hahaha, that he was. An ol Alabama boy. He would come out in a cowboy hat yelling ROLL TIDE! The name of the University of Alabama's sports teams (The Crimson Tide) Wish they would solve his murder. Crazy they never did.

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
                  Cheers Lads. He was a real character, something lacking in ours - and many other sports - today.
                  yeah, because that's just what boxing needs.

a violent druggy criminal LMAO 😂😂

Comment

Working...
                  X