Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get the top 3 welterweights of each decade, and compare?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Margarito fights on a major league circuit. Everytime he fought, his wraps and gloves were checked and signed off on by the commission and the other fighters chosen rep. Now maybe he got away with it against Cotto, but no way he did too many times going far back. It's not the same as beating a drug test when the other opponents guy is allowed to check your wraps.
    I'm not saying he did, and there is no proof. But it certainly seems strange he would load his gloves for Mosley when he was considered on the slide but not Cotto who was seen as a beast at the time of the first fight. I just don't think it was a one time thing, but that's only my opinion.

Comment

Could Benitez be classed as one of the best WW of the 80s? Not sure how long he was at WW for though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman Hodgson View Post
        Could Benitez be classed as one of the best WW of the 80s? Not sure how long he was at WW for though.
        Benitez actually never fought at WW during the 80's. He lost the title to Leonard in '79 then moved up to JMW.

Comment

Towards the end of the 50s through the 60s I'd say the best men in the WW division were Emile, Benny "Kid" Paret, Stan Harrington, Gaspar Ortega, Denny Moyer,Joey Archer along with the excellant fighters already mentioned. These men fought each other countless times because thats when the contenders couldn't be denied and the top ten men looked forward to combat each other. They constantly traded places in the standings and their fights were often times terriffic. I remember watching Emile train at Gleasons in NYC and also saw an older Kid there too. Harrington fought often and was based in Hawaii and was credited in bringing championship caliber fighter to the islands back then. Also Gaspar is a personal friend and has lived in New Haven Conn. for most of his life. He runs my old Youth Boxing Program in Hamden Conn now and is eldest boy Mike is a very good pro ref working all over the country now. Ortega held the record for most televised fights at one time thanks to the old Gilette Calvelcade of Sports Show, many times out of St. Nicks Area in NYC. Over 170 pro fights and I think he was stopped once!! Impressive! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Towards the end of the 50s through the 60s I'd say the best men in the WW division were Emile, Benny "Kid" Paret, Stan Harrington, Gaspar Ortega, Denny Moyer,Joey Archer along with the excellant fighters already mentioned. These men fought each other countless times because thats when the contenders couldn't be denied and the top ten men looked forward to combat each other. They constantly traded places in the standings and their fights were often times terriffic. I remember watching Emile train at Gleasons in NYC and also saw an older Kid there too. Harrington fought often and was based in Hawaii and was credited in bringing championship caliber fighter to the islands back then. Also Gaspar is a personal friend and has lived in New Haven Conn. for most of his life. He runs my old Youth Boxing Program in Hamden Conn now and is eldest boy Mike is a very good pro ref working all over the country now. Ortega held the record for most televised fights at one time thanks to the old Gilette Calvelcade of Sports Show, many times out of St. Nicks Area in NYC. Over 170 pro fights and I think he was stopped once!! Impressive! Ray

wow. no kidding

chins

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              60’s
              Emile Griffith
              Luis Rodrieguez
              Jose Napoles
              I'd replace Napoles with Cokes, he had the much better wins and Napoles only had 2 years as a Welter in the 60s.

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              Towards the end of the 50s through the 60s I'd say the best men in the WW division were Emile, Benny "Kid" Paret, Stan Harrington, Gaspar Ortega, Denny Moyer, Joey Archer
              He had next too no bouts at 147.
              Last edited by NChristo; 04-13-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                I'm not saying he did, and there is no proof. But it certainly seems strange he would load his gloves for Mosley when he was considered on the slide but not Cotto who was seen as a beast at the time of the first fight. I just don't think it was a one time thing, but that's only my opinion.
                Margarito was in the best shape of his life for the first Cotto fight. He spent the entire Mosley camp dropping weight. It is my belief that the wraps were loaded by a desperate trainer knowing he was sending out an unfit fighter. I just don't believe that you can get away with loading a fighter's gloves too many times.

Comment

I think so!
                  Last edited by richwasson4; 04-14-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

for the 50's I go with Basilio, De Marco,,,, I would have Gavilan in the 40's,, Billy Graham deserves consideration, considering the amount of times he was rorted. Tony DeMarco is certainly in there, his punching power was phenomenal. I may be biased towards the early 50's here,, Napoles belongs to the 60's, the period 56-59 is shadey.

Comment

Cotto, Mayweather and Pacquiao for WW of the 00's. I think most of Mosleys run were at 154 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X