No announcement yet.

Trinidad vs. Quartey Poll

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinidad vs. Quartey Poll

These days, I have been watching several Ike Quartey fights and remembered how solid this guy was. That snapping jab he had, his come forward style, and his chopping right hand made for a lethal combination in the welterweight division.

On the other corner, we have Félix Trinidad. I don't think I have to describe Trinidad since almost every true boxing fan knows of him. Still, I will. Trinidad had explosive one punch power, determination, a relentless go forward style, and good skills when he decided to use them.

On paper, I think this has to be one of the most fascinating welterweight fights that never took place and I just can't pick a surefire winner. I think I could see Quartey giving Trinidad a lot of problems with the jab and taking an early lead until Trinidad starts to pick up the pace and TKO's him late. The reason why I think he could TKO Ike is because Quartey would stand and trade with Trinidad, instead of moving around, thus, giving Trinidad way more chances than he should.
    Trinidad
    72.09%
    Quartey
    27.91%

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
    These days, I have been watching several Ike Quartey fights and remembered how solid this guy was. That snapping jab he had, his come forward style, and his chopping right hand made for a lethal combination in the welterweight division.

On the other corner, we have Félix Trinidad. I don't think I have to describe Trinidad since almost every true boxing fan knows of him. Still, I will. Trinidad had explosive one punch power, determination, a relentless go forward style, and good skills when he decided to use them.

On paper, I think this has to be one of the most fascinating welterweight fights that never took place and I just can't pick a surefire winner. I think I could see Quartey giving Trinidad a lot of problems with the jab and taking an early lead until Trinidad starts to pick up the pace and TKO's him late. The reason why I think he could TKO Ike is because Quartey would stand and trade with Trinidad, instead of moving around, thus, giving Trinidad way more chances than he should.
    Loved Bazooka and think a prime version could outpoint Tito...just as easily as a prime Tito could stop him. Would've been epic. But by the time they were supposed to fight, I think Quartey was slowing a bit and probably would've been stopped late.

Comment

i always wanted to see this fight and initially thought Tito would take it...but we all saw how a 'snapping' jab thwarted Tito's offense...tough call...at 147, Tito was a beast

Comment

I'd like to see some more replies and takes on the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
          I'd like to see some more replies and takes on the fight.

change the title to 'PAC is on Roids' or 'Floyd is a f@g'

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
            change the title to 'PAC is on Roids' or 'Floyd is a f@g'
            Yeah, the same old threads with the same old replies and the same old lame arguments. It gets tiresome.

Comment

LOVE this match!

Haaha i think i would have to go with Bazooka on this one! Trinidad has always had issues with boxer punchers or pure boxers for that matter. Look at Vargas
              vs Tito... he started landing nut shots to slow Vargas down!

fast forward to 2005 when Trinidad fought Winky Wright! Winky was Ike's Stable mate while they traveled threw Europe and when you say wright eventually lose in south America which was considered a rigged fight( the rig was wet and caused many downs) Winky Adopted Ike's Shell defense. We all remember what happened When Tito fought Wright, it was a one sided drubbing!

IMO Ike stops Tito late because he could force the pace and open up when it suited him. He, Ike, in his career had allot more pop to his punches if he kept it simple. Tito would be on the end of a stick and would be taking clean shots late.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                LOVE this match!

Haaha i think i would have to go with Bazooka on this one! Trinidad has always had issues with boxer punchers or pure boxers for that matter. Look at Vargas

fast forward to 2005 when Trinidad fought Winky Wright! Winky was Ike's Stable mate while they traveled threw Europe and when you say wright eventually lose in south America which was considered a rigged fight( the rig was wet and caused many downs) Winky Adopted Ike's Shell defense. We all remember what happened When Tito fought Wright, it was a one sided drubbing!

IMO Ike stops Tito late because he could force the pace and open up when it suited him. He, Ike, in his career had allot more pop to his punches if he kept it simple. Tito would be on the end of a stick and would be taking clean shots late.

tough call...Ike was a very good fighter but always fell short in the big fights

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  tough call...Ike was a very good fighter but always fell short in the big fights
                  i do remember that... if he could stick to a gameplan... he was an inconsistent pressure fighter... :P

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post
                    LOVE this match!

One of the bigger fables in boxing history. BTW, Vargas beat Quartey.

Comment

Working...
                    X