No announcement yet.

Can GGG be a PPV star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can GGG be a PPV star?

He has had a fan-friendly style so far, but does he have crossover appeal?

Pac did it because of the background and the whole weight class thing.
    Golovkin needs a better promoter than K2 stateside.
    he has the fighting style though

Comment

He probably can, I dont see why not the problem is their is no real ppv fighter anywhere near him that can give him that push and inital exposure.

Comment

Nope; because nobody in or near his weight would casual fans consider a blockbuster fight

Comment

I believe so, provided he keeps winning.

Comment

You usually have to beat a PPV star to be one and I dont see him fighting anybody is who is a PPV star right now I could be wrong(but i doubt it)

Comment

To be a PPV star now would require GGG to stay at his minimal weight limit...GGG could make 154lbs, 150lbs maybe, 147lbs no way...A couple stars at 160lbs but lower is where its at

Going above 160lbs gives him Chavez, Ward and possibly Froch for a PPV show
              The higher weights must develop some more talent that that people can cheer behind

Comment

Of course, no doubt about it. However, in order for him to get to that level he needs to beat top opposition... problem is, I don't see top opposition giving him a chance anytime soon. Also he needs a company like GB or TR to give him that solid promotional push as well. It feels as if Golovkins work has done the promotional work for him.

Comment

I doubt it. He needs a number of factors to get it right, firstly he needs a better promoter someone that has the boxing media in his pocket like Arum. Then he needs to basically be the only star in his own country, where everyone looks up to him like Pacquiao then he need his fights to be showcase at every turn by the TV executive like HBO. He has the fighting style needed but other factors are not there at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                    I doubt it. He needs a number of factors to get it right, firstly he needs a better promoter someone that has the boxing media in his pocket like Arum. Then he needs to basically be the only star in his own country, where everyone looks up to him like Pacquiao then he need his fights to be showcase at every turn by the TV executive like HBO. He has the fighting style needed but other factors are not there at the moment.
                    I disagree. Pacquiao's phillipino support doesn't drive HBO ppv buys.

I think he has to be able to fight welterweights at a catchweight, through to light heavys. And all the big names in between. Especially if he can catch floyd or manny.

Comment

Working...
                    X