No announcement yet.

GSP isn't fighting Silva

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSP isn't fighting Silva

[QUOTE]It appears that Georges St. Pierre wants to fight Anderson Silva about as bad as ‘The Spider’ wants to fight Jon Jones. That is to say, not at all, right now. We were told by UFC Prez Dana White that should the welterweight champ beat Carlos Condit as he did at UFC 154, he would take on the Brazilian middleweight king next, but St. Pierre revealed all of that to be a cruel tease recently while on Radio-Canada’s Tout Le Monde en Parle, or, Everyone is Talking as we’d say here in civilization. MMA Fighting had the translation.

“[The Anderson Silva] fight is the cherry on the sundae,” St. Pierre explained. “[Silva] wants to fight me so he can then retire. I would like to fight him too, but after I fight him and win the fight, what happens next? These days, yeah, there’s a lot of money to be made, but I don’t fight for the money. My motivation is to be the best. Like we said, to be the Wayne Gretzky of my sport. So if I fight him, what happens next? It will be over. So yes, I want the fight, but I want to take it when I decide the time is right, not when he wants the fight to happen.”

St. Pierre doesn’t want to move at Silva’s schedule just because he’s champion of a lighter division, even though Silva would appear to be much closer to retirement at age 37 than St. Pierre is. Speaking of weight differences, St. Pierre has appeared to have gotten some specific intel on just how much heavier Silva is than him.

More on that, as well as the complete video interview with St. Pierre wearing sunglasses and sipping wine, you know, just to emphasize the whole French thing, after the jump.

“On top of that, he weighs 234 pounds; I weigh 188. So there’s a big weight difference,” St. Pierre said. “I’ve fought guys who were bigger. I’m not scared of him, it’s just that I will take this fight when it makes sense for me. I just came back from an injury, there’s money to be made, there are fights in my weight class, other challenges out there, and if I fight him, I will have to gain weight, while he will have to lose weight, and then afterwards, I won’t be able to come back to my weight class.

“First and foremost, I have things to do at 170 pounds. When I am ready and when I want the fight, that’s when it will happen.”

Before you jump on St. Pierre for that “I have things to do in my own weight class even though everyone knows I really don’t have anything else to prove or anyone to beat in my weight class” statement, first remember how identical it is to how Silva has answered calls to move up and compete for the light heavyweight title. He, unlike St. Pierre, has fought in a higher weight class, but has so far refused to campaign for the title./QUOTE]

http://www.cagepotato.com/blame-cana...lva-right-now/
    Last edited by led; 11-26-2012, 08:12 PM.

That is good, personally it was not the fight i wanted to see anyway i think the Hendricks fight is more competitive and really a fight i would like to see GSP take, Johny has good power and great wrestling is short and compact and could cause a few problems for GSP. Let the spider fight bones

Comment

I would rather see him fight Hendricks and Diaz first...

Comment

I'm dissappointed as a GSP fan. Very dissapointed.

this fight needs to happen for historical reasons.

Comment

I say the fight will never happen. And I don't even think it necessarily should. Not that I am against the concept, but the size difference is too much. I'd much rather see Silva fighting LHWs, but he seems little interested. Probably he makes enough money fighting stiffs at MW that he sees little need to move up to the more challenging weight division.

Comment

u cant blame him...

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
              I say the fight will never happen. And I don't even think it necessarily should. Not that I am against the concept, but the size difference is too much. I'd much rather see Silva fighting LHWs, but he seems little interested. Probably he makes enough money fighting stiffs at MW that he sees little need to move up to the more challenging weight division.
              i really didn`t realize that Silva was 230 lbs walking around. I am a large man at 210 but damn....how tall is Silva?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                i really didn`t realize that Silva was 230 lbs walking around. I am a large man at 210 but damn....how tall is Silva?
                He is 62...........

Comment

Does he really walk around at 230? Where was that info obtained?

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
                    He is 62...........
                    then where is all that weight? damn B.

Comment

Working...
                    X