No announcement yet.

Stephan Bonnar retires...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephan Bonnar retires...

Fight fans have seen the last of Stephan Bonnar.

Bonner, who recently suffered a lopsided first-round knockout loss at the hands of Anderson Silva at UFC 153, had his fate sealed by UFC President Dana White late Tuesday night.

"Yes, Bonnar will be retiring now," White revealed midway through an online MetroPCS chat with fans.

Bonnar later confirmed the news to MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani.

For all intents and purposes, Bonnar was unofficially retired before being coaxed back into action by the surprise, late-notice offer to fight Silva. Immediately following the loss, which snapped a three-fight winning streak stretching back to 2010, Bonnar was non-committal regarding any potential return.

Bonnar ends his mixed martial career sporting a 15-8 record, having lost only to champions or former champions Forrest Griffin, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans, Jon Jones, Mark Coleman, and Silva, barring a controversial TKO loss to Krzysztof Soszynski.

Bonnar's legendary brawl against Griffin on the finale of the first Ultimate Fighter is widely credited with helping save the UFC and is often mentioned among the greatest fights in MMA history.
    MMAfighting.com

Thanks for the fights Bonnar!

Comment

why? I don't get why some fighters go out like that. I'm not a fan of it.

At the least he should sign with Bellator, or fight for a Strikeforce title which I'm sure he could do right away. Not right that he goes out like that without ever getting a title shot. He's better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
        why? I don't get why some fighters go out like that. I'm not a fan of it.

At the least he should sign with Bellator, or fight for a Strikeforce title which I'm sure he could do right away. Not right that he goes out like that without ever getting a title shot. He's better than that.
        Uncle Dana would have none of it. Did you not notice that it was Uncle Dana who announced the retirement even?

Comment

Does seem odd that Dana announced it, so you reckon his contract stated he cant go fight for another oganisation if he inst fighting for UFC?

Great fighter though and loved his attitide, never saw him in a dull fight. He'' probably be a pundit or something.

Comment

How rude of dana
            [IMG]http://cdn.*****************/instances/400x/24461969.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
              Does seem odd that Dana announced it, so you reckon his contract stated he cant go fight for another oganisation if he inst fighting for UFC?

Great fighter though and loved his attitide, never saw him in a dull fight. He'' probably be a pundit or something.
              UFC doesn't put that into their contracts.

The only org that comes close to doing something like that is Bellator. When a fighter's contract is up, and he negotiates a new deal with another org, Bellator has the right to match any deal. Thats dirty.

Comment

Cashed out nicely in his last fight.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is such a contract stipulation. Or perhaps he can't for a certain number of years.

Dana White also announced Chuck Liddell's retirement. He can't even give the fighters under his thumb that much dignity as to allow them to announce their own retirements.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                    UFC doesn't put that into their contracts.

The only org that comes close to doing something like that is Bellator. When a fighter's contract is up, and he negotiates a new deal with another org, Bellator has the right to match any deal. Thats dirty.
                    You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X