No announcement yet.

Ali-Berbick "The Last Hurrah"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali-Berbick "The Last Hurrah"

Tonight I picked up the DVD The Last Hurrah, which features the 1981 fight between Ali and Trevor Berbick. It's actually not a bad fight, I never saw that one before. Ali was in the fight more than I expected him to be, and while I agree that Berbick won the fight, it was closer than I thought it would be. Ali was certainly much slower than earlier in his career and sometimes his balance was off and he would tire after having a rally but he stayed in most of the fight and was even aggressive in some rounds. However, the disturbing part is the press conference for the fight when Ali was talking like he had something wrong with him already, he is certainly not talking like a 39 year old man, even rambling a bit. It is sad to see, but at least he pulled together a more respectable final performance than I thought it was supposed to be.
    The DVD is worth picking up.

Well, it was definitely better than Ali's last fight before Berbick. He had no business in there.

Comment

Luckily Berbick wasn't as formidable as Holmes or Ali could have been in very serious trouble.

Comment

I don't think Ali was in his prime for Berbick.

Comment

What gave you that idea? Was it the parkinsons or the weight?

Comment

Originally posted by Frazier's 15th round
            just shows how terrible berbick was also, he couldnt stop r knock out ali

Comment

Ali was alot better for the Berbick fight, that in the Holmes fight. OBviously Holmes was a better fighter, however, Ali could at least fight Berbick. The wrongly prescribed "Thyrolar" drug for Ali to help his 'hyperthyroid' condition made him a punching bag against Holmes. It made him have absolutely no energy, therefore barely being able to throw a punch.

Comment

I've only seen about 2 minutes of this fight but it is scary how slow ali is compared to when he fights patterson or liston. It really upset me when i saw it, that is why i saw so little of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Raging Bull
                  I've only seen about 2 minutes of this fight but it is scary how slow ali is compared to when he fights patterson or liston. It really upset me when i saw it, that is why i saw so little of it.
                  Try watching Ali-Holmes. It made me cry in the best of times.

Comment

I have watched it. An amazing champion and man. Degraded to looking like a bum.

Comment

Working...
                    X