Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers in their prime that were considered Invincible? (Prime v Prime rant)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers in their prime that were considered Invincible? (Prime v Prime rant)

I always see Tyson and Roy Jones given the title "Invincible"

---

What if Marquez beats Mayweather, in 5 years time people would be saying owe ya Mayweather wasn't in his prime but ... (He would beat Marquez if it was the Mayweather of 2005 or right after the Hatton fight and no 2 year layoff)

I'm sure when Tyson got beat by Douglas at the age of about 24, everyone wasn't saying he's past his prime!, more like he hasn't peaked.

Yet once someone has viewed someones whole career they can nitpick saying owe ya Tyson in 1988 was da bomb he would KO anyone, yet boxing isn't without its surprises ....

Wasn't Lacy susposed to beat Calzaghe?, Wasn't Corrales favourite over Mayweather? and wasn't Buster Douglas 42-1 underdog facing Tyson?

It's quite laughable you can say Tyson would annihilate Lewis, Ali ect... prime for prime and give remarkable feedback on how it would play out.

Ya Tyson KO's Ali in 5 rounds prime for prime, excluding all the factors involved!, there's a 2 month build up to the fight, things change, injuries occur and you can't say Jones that beat yadda yadda that night would beat so and so because fight's don't happen in an instance.

This isn't fight night round 4.

yet you can pull anyone from some time period when they looked their best and say he will beat him no doubt.

Things happen for a reason, thinking up Dreamfights is awesome but I wouldn't take anyone elses, let alone your own certainty to heart.

Answer me god dammit!

Be back later going boxing now,

Comment

Prime Hagler, prime Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamSparkz View Post
        Answer me god dammit!

Be back later going boxing now,
        Roy Jones was definitely given that label by boxing pundits as was Tyson, but so was JCC. Right now, with the many twist in turns in this beloved sport I think labeling a fighter “invincible” would be another by-product for setting a superstar fighter up for an upset/defeat.

Peace.

Comment

Tito Trinidad, people were so blind that even the bigger, more skilled Bernard Hopkins was a HUGE underdog.
          Trinidad was great and thought to be invincible until he fought hopnkis

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
            Tito Trinidad, people were so blind that even the bigger, more skilled Bernard Hopkins was a HUGE underdog.
            Trinidad never fought Mosley or Quartey, thus we don't know how great he was. I think he definitely wasn't as great as Oscar. The only great thing about him was his power. And energy. But I believe he would lose to Mosley and Quartey as well. At 147.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamSparkz View Post

Wasn't Lacy susposed to beat Calzaghe?,
              that was unreal. I went to the bookies on fight night and could not believe the odds on Calzaghe, they really thought he was going to be taken that night.

I bet after round 1 the bookies thought

"He is the mini Mike Tyson" we were told.

Joe Calzaghe had to have surgery right after the fight to remove Lacy from his pocket such was the gulf in class.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
                I was hesitant to mention Tito, (though I love that dude) because he showed in the DLH fight that he can be beaten to the punch etc, which means that any elite fighter adopting that blueprint as BHop did can expose that even further. Though I think it was more fans that labeled Tito invincible not so much boxing experts/pundits.

Peace.

Comment

Okay thanks guys.

I agree calling someone invincible and considering them so is an act of promoting and advertising as a product, not something someone should say in a discussion.

Tyson was invincible, no one could beat him!... owe apart from maybe Ali ... and so on ...

Comment

Prime Mike was the most effective and best selling fighter ever. Mike never made you think he was a coward even when he lost he took a beating and if he wasn't losig he would try to kill the guy, while being professional lmao.

If Frazier beat Ali then I think Mike could have won himself.
                    Last edited by Jone2ts; 08-27-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X