Collapse
No announcement yet.

PR voting for statehood tomorrow.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were a boricua I'd vote no but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorSoul View Post
      Well I've talk to my boricua friends in the BX about this in the past. Basically one of the main concerns that PRs have about becoming a state is that when the floodgates open and other mainland Americans eventually move to PR they are afraid that they will dilute the island which could eventually affect the language, culture, identity of PR. As great as it is for PR to eventually become a state, hearing my friend's arguments made me a believer that it would not be in the best interest for Puerto Ricans as a people.
      I don't agree with that, Americans can go there now as easy as if it was a state so there is no basic difference. It would be in PR's best interest to become a state to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Kadyo View Post
        If I were a boricua I'd vote no but that's just me.
        that's how my father over there feels.

Comment

I believe there are some misconceptions in this thread. As far as I know, US citizens require a passport to travel to PR, but not vice versa. Also the current majority favors status quo, as shown in all polls. It's only the minority that goes on to vote for what sort of new association they favor.
          Last edited by Miburo; 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miburo View Post
            I believe there are some misconceptions in this thread. As far as I know, US citizens require a passport to travel to PR, but not vice versa. Also the current majority favors status quo, as shown in all polls. It's only the minority that goes on to vote for what sort of new association they favor.
            US citizens don't need passports to travel to PR.

Comment

They mostly don't want to become a state, it will remain the same

Comment

Originally posted by Biolink View Post
                And I hear they are likely to accept. Then all the US has to do is accept.

Then the next debate of how the new flag should look will begin

I wonder how it would effect boxing and if PR would maintain their sovereignty in matters such as the Olympics.
                Its not gonna happen....

Comment

Originally posted by freeloada View Post
                  They do this every time and every time they stay the same.. good on them too... we get all the US benefits with out the tax bullshit.. and our legal drinking age is 18.. fuck becoming a state.. perfectly fine as a territory.. its like having a girl that you can fuck and leave whenever you want...
                  It works the other way around as well because PR would see benefits from becoming a real state, but getting into taxes and social aid is a different issue altogether I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by ELHURACAN58 View Post
                    Its not gonna happen....
                    I agree...I don't see it happening.

Comment

People there get the social assistance from the US while getting to claim independence. Why switch? If I were a Puerto Rican i'd vote no.

Comment

Working...
                      X