Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oldies Music Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These guys had so many good songs it's ridiculous.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Good thread, Verse.

I love Otis, have you heard the alternate version of I've Got Dreams To Remember?

I didn't know this until recently, but it was based on a poem his wife wrote for him to describe how much she missed him when he was away touring. He recorded it as a surprise for her, but they decided to change all the lyrics for the version we all know.

She only got to hear this version of it after he'd died and she went to go through his artefacts. So her husband's just died and she hears him singing the words she wrote about missing him when he wasn't there.

It's hard not to listen to this version and get a bit choked for that reason IMO:

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            Good thread, Verse.

I love Otis, have you heard the alternate version of I've Got Dreams To Remember?

I didn't know this until recently, but it was based on a poem his wife wrote for him to describe how much she missed him when he was away touring. He recorded it as a surprise for her, but they decided to change all the lyrics for the version we all know.

She only got to hear this version of it after he'd died and she went to go through his artefacts. So her husband's just died and she hears him singing the words she wrote about missing him when he wasn't there.

It's hard not to listen to this version and get a bit choked for that reason IMO:

I haven't heard that one. Pretty good find; sucks he died at 26.

Comment

Yeah, I saw a pic of his body by accident the other day, being dragged from the sea. Really wish I hadn't seen it, I was just googling for stuff on him.

A top ten artist for me, I've got loads of his stuff on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                Yeah, I saw a pic of his body by accident the other day, being dragged from the sea. Really wish I hadn't seen it, I was just googling for stuff on him.

A top ten artist for me, I've got loads of his stuff on my computer.
                Damn, didn't know they had that. And Otis is up there, just an all around good performer.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K12 View Post
                  And Otis is up there, just an all around good performer.
                  This is possibly my favourite (favorite, Fat Yank) performance I've ever seen of his. He comes over for a Green Teef TV show to do a medley.

At the end he does a three-way singing session with two Green Teefs who I rate pretty highly, but he makes them look average:

Check out all the white Green Teefs in the audience dancing with absolutely zero rhythm or skill.

Also note how Otis constantly staggers back, and half-removes his jacket, as if to unconsciously suggest the illusion that he's on the verge of exhaustion, he's giving so much. A clever trick that IMO.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X