Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Heavyweight who doesn't KO people ever be truly popular?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Heavyweight who doesn't KO people ever be truly popular?

I'm referring mainly to Fury here. I believe the main reason the HW division has always been the premiere division of boxing is due to the higher rate of KO's.

How can Fury ever hope to be a people's champ if he only ekes out his wins by decision?

Fury has worse problems than that. He could always take the Floyd line about being a "technician" who truly impresses only connoisseurs of the sport, etc.

Fury is a proven PED user, a head case, and he ducks fights. If he had taken the Wilder rematch in a timely way (or at all?), and won it on the cards, Old Blighty would be happy enough with the Mental Giant.

Comment

YES! When you have Charisma and Personality to reel in Casuals

Fury is going to do great in America as long as he wins regardless of HOW he wins because he can talk them into Arenas and Talk Them into Tuning in

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
        YES! When you have Charisma and Personality to reel in Casuals

Fury is going to do great in America as long as he wins regardless of HOW he wins because he can talk them into Arenas and Talk Them into Tuning in
        Couldn’t have said it better.

Comment

Ali didn't have big KO power & he was pretty popular. He was 56-5, 37KO's (60% KO pct) overall. He was 19-0, 15KO's (78% KO pct) on the comeup & 37-5, 22KO's (52% KO pct) the rest of the way.

Fury is 27-0-1, 19KO's (67% KO pct). Fury ain't got much since his comeup, but he was 24-0, 18KO's (75% KO pct) on it & has been 3-0-1, 1KO (25% KO pct) since.

Comment

Fury has the love of a nation who will root for anyone who represents them so he will be popular over there. In the states, it's unlikely. An ugly physique, no power, he'll never be a star in America but I think he'll get a bit of support as long as he's winning.
            I think Americans would have been quicker to adopt Anthony Joshua but after the way he went out, he's going to have a real hard time getting respect now.

Comment

Working...
            X