No announcement yet.

The GOAT ladies and gentlemen.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by street bully View Post
    Could you imagine todays sorry ass WWs fighting this guy?
    He'd massacre them all.

And I'm not saying that because that's what generally everybody says, or because he's a respected legend that has passed on.

I've seen a ****load of his fights, and I know what he was capable of.

The power, the speed, the precision ; his skills were mind boggling.

I can't say enough positive things about the man's skillset.

It's a damn shame most newbies to the sport have never bothered watching Robinson fight tapes, or think of him as one of those "overrated old guys".

There's a lot of men in this sport's history whom I consider to be completely overrated.

Robinson is not one of them ; he's considered the best for a reason.

Comment

Thanks ...............

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
        Good thread Bully. I wish SRR wasn't so before my time. I need more of his fights. It's ****ed up the new age of boxing fans always downplay his gr8ness just cuz they ain't get to see it.
        You can learn all there is to know about the sport from watching a few of his fights. Really amazing.

Comment

Sidenote ; For some reason, and I don't know what it is ; I always get goosebumps when I see that clip of Robinson doing his roadwork.

I don't know why, but it's been that way ever since I first saw those clips back in 1998 on "Bright Lights, Dark Shadows".

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
            I'm still amazed when I break out the Robinson footage.

He was the blueprint.

It's as simple as that.

Light years beyond everybody else at the time.
            I'm still amazed at how over rated he is by people like you who should honestly know better.

SRR is a Clone of SSM, sub par defense, incredible speed, very good power, and strung combinations together well. That doesn't make him the GOAT, not even close. Stylistically he is a very beatable fighter.

People give him all sorts of credit for fights that we don't have on film with all kinds of crap like "we don't have footage of him at his best!" No, we do... He was 28 years old in the fight we have with Jake LaMotta, right in them meat of his physical prime, and he was still way to hittable, and looked very beatable.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
              Sidenote ; For some reason, and I don't know what it is ; I always get goosebumps when I see that clip of Robinson doing his roadwork.

I don't know why, but it's been that way ever since I first saw those clips back in 1998 on "Bright Lights, Dark Shadows".
              Legend homey. When you see his footage, you know goin in you lookin
              at the GOAT. You just feel pimpin gettin to view it, as you should. I dunno about goosebumps n ****, but I feel the euphoria when I watch old stuff from SRR. Dude personifies boxing my ******.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                I'm still amazed at how over rated he is by people like you who should honestly know better.

SRR is a Clone of SSM, sub par defense, incredible speed, very good power, and strung combinations together well. That doesn't make him the GOAT, not even close. Stylistically he is a very beatable fighter.

People give him all sorts of credit for fights that we don't have on film with all kinds of crap like "we don't have footage of him at his best!" No, we do... He was 28 years old in the fight we have with Jake LaMotta, right in them meat of his physical prime, and he was still way to hittable, and looked very beatable.
                Agreed. he's pretty good, but no SVEN OTTKE of course.

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
                  You can learn all there is to know about the sport from watching a few of his fights. Really amazing.
                  No... you can't. You can learn how to not slip jab, how to eat jabs with your face, how to get hit way more than you should, and how to using your lightning speed and good power to string together phenomenal combinations.... wait, you can't learn to do that...

Robinson is to be watched only for his footwork which was beautiful, as was his right hand behind the ribs, other than that, he was an unusually quick hard hitting fighter who could take a good punch.

Comment

Yeah...ok. SSM clone. .

Comment

You forgot to mention his chin, his stamina, his dedication, and his precision.

His defense was lacking somewhat but his chin more than made up for that.

Regardless of your personal opinion ; the general concensus from most boxing insiders was that Robinson was at his best at Welterweight. You say he was at his best at Middleweight? That's fine.

But I feel much more comfortable taking it from the men who were there to witness it, rather than you.

No offense.

Comment

Working...
                      X