Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Fight in Boxing is a Blown Up Welterweight vs a 38yr Old MW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldie View Post
    Martinez is already on record saying that he would come down to fight Mayweather, so common sense should have told you that the fight not being made is because Mayweather has chosen not to make it. You and others can call it a "duck" or whatever else makes you feel better. It's not a natural matchup because Martinez is the much bigger guy. He's a middleweight that would have to somewhat drain himself to get to 54 while Mayweather is a WW that would have to bloat himself to make 54.

Mayweather's abilities are tested in every fight. I know that he makes it look easy and that hurts the soul of haters, but it's not as easy as he makes it look.
    your argument that Martinez is to big for floyd is weak. it is the only match up worth floyds time.

stop it already. everybody know Martinez is not a big middleweight. he can make 154 lbs.

clearly its not the size that worries you Martinez would be no bigger than ortiz and what canela rehydrate to on fight night.

just admit it you are afraid to see floyd lose

I on the other hand as much as i want to see floyd lose would not be on suicide watch like pacfans after Marquez destroyed their hero if floyd won Martinez

i just want to see floyd aka 154 champ in a tough fight but i guess meeting the former 154 champ and current undersized middle weight king Sergio Martinez would be asking to much of the great floyd "dont call me jr" mayweather

Comment

Originally posted by 2120 View Post
      your argument that Martinez is to big for floyd is weak. it is the only match up worth floyds time.

stop it already. everybody know Martinez is not a big middleweight. he can make 154 lbs.

clearly its not the size that worries you Martinez would be no bigger than ortiz and what canela rehydrate to on fight night.

I on the other hand as much as i want to see floyd lose would not be on suicide watch like pacfans after Marquez destroyed their hero if floyd won Martinez

i just want to see floyd aka 154 champ in a tough fight but i guess meeting the former 154 champ and current undersized middle weight king Sergio Martinez would be asking to much of the great floyd "dont call me jr" mayweather
      Martinez is not an "undersized" middleweight. He walks around at 180 pounds and has not fought at 154 in years. If he could make the weight easily he would still be in that division.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldSugar
        Wow, we are in a sad state right now.
        blown up welterweight? don't you mean two time 154 lb division champ? "size doesn't win fights, skills do".

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Why doesn't Martinez take a fight at 154 first to see how it feels getting back in the division?

Comment

Originally posted by El Gallo Negro! View Post
            blown up welterweight? don't you mean two time 154 lb division champ? "size doesn't win fights, skills do".

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
            So whatever Floyd says goes right?

Comment

There are some weird Floyd fans & Pacman fans alive. I personally love when the fighters I support go after the greatest challenges.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                Martinez is not an "undersized" middleweight. He walks around at 180 pounds and has not fought at 154 in years. If he could make the weight easily he would still be in that division.
                Not necessarily. He left the division for bigger fights and probably would not go back down unless there is a big fight to be had. Right now that means only Canelo or Floyd.

I'm not saying it would would be easy for Martinez, but I think it is doable especially if you give him the time he has asked for to lose the weight in a relatively healthy manner. I do think Martinez walks around 175-178, but he typically weighs around 165-167 on fight night. I think he weighed slightly less when at JMW on fight night.

He weighed 157 at the weight-in against Macklin and did not look like a stick like say a fighter like Chavez does, so I think he could lose some extra weight. It may have to be some muscle mass, but it is doable. Obviously, he is a lot older than Chavez, but that is where the time comes in. If he has time he may be able to pull it off relatively well.

Comment

I agree with that. Martinez should actually move down and try a fight before looking for the Floyd fight.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldSugar View Post
                    The Best Fight in Boxing is a Blown Up Welterweight vs a 38yr Old MW?
                    I think its precisely those caveats that make the fight interesting. Are they both over the hill? Is Mayweather slower or somehow otherwise deficient at his highest weight class? Would Martinez be drained at a weight class he hasn't fought at in years?

There just seems to be more question marks than FMJ vs Ghost, or FMJ vs Alvarez (who I think gets schooled ala Martinez vs JCC Jr), or, speaking of which, Martinez vs JCC Jr II.

That's not to say there aren't other great fights to be made, or ones that don't involve FMJ or Maravilla aren't great, but as far as the, let's say generally-accepted top P4P list goes, its one of the best fights to be made.

Comment

Originally posted by 2120 View Post

Here's the difference between you and I. You want to see Mayweather lose, I'm satisfied seeing him fight win, lose, or draw. You're a hater, I'm a fan. It would not bother me one bit to see Mayweather lose, and I would not mind seeing May-Martinez. I simply understand why Mayweather might not want to make the fight and don't feel the need to criticize or hate on him for not doing so. You hate because you're a hater, you're not concerned with being rational. You're the type that's mad at Mayweather for being as good as he is. Talk about being sad and pathetic.

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                      There are some weird Floyd fans & Pacman fans alive. I personally love when the fighters I support go after the greatest challenges.
                      No true Mayweather or boxing fan would be upset at him taking on the Martinez-54 challenge, we just understand why he wouldn't decide to do that at this point. There's a clear difference in wanting to see Mayweather take the fight and hating on him because he hasn't done so.

Comment

Working...
                      X