No announcement yet.

fighting toe to toe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fighting toe to toe

Any thoughts on fighting close range? I'm not talking about getting away, but how to throw punches and not be open for a counter punch. I am actually great at defending myself, but only if I cover up, not after I've opened myself up to punch.

dont open yourself up too much when you punch, eg: dont raise your knees or chin and draw your arm back for a shot, keep your knees slightly bent and bodyweight slightly more on your front foot

drivepunches in hard and sharp with an explosive motion, and keep the other glove in close

dont throw too many straights in close, look for hooks to catch them on the side of the head around the gloves or aim rips to the body around their guard

uppercuts straight through the guard work well too, a combination i like is

lead hook to the head, right rip to the body, left uppercut to the head through the middle of the guard....the hook makes them bring their hands up higher which exposes the body, the bodyshot makes them drop the elbows to try and protect the body and then they're open for the uppercut up the middle

stay busy inside too, dont look for a rest, keep driving in uppercuts and hooks, even if they are landing on the arms just work on mixing it up and trying to get as many as you can through the guard, and be physically aggressive, even if hes stronger than you, dont be intimidated, keep throwing in different spots (like that combo i mentioned, head ,body, head ,body up the middle of the guard, round the edge of the guard etc) and land as many as you can
    Last edited by KostyaTszyu44; 11-08-2008, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Kostya,

Thanks mate. That made more sense than anything else I've heard this week.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by ~satchel~ View Post
        Kostya,

Thanks mate. That made more sense than anything else I've heard this week.

Cheers.
        no problem, tell me how you go in sparring next time, if it helped or not....

oh and one last thing remember dont charge inside, slip, step or jab your way in.....then unload those short combos

hope it helps

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
          no problem, tell me how you go in sparring next time, if it helped or not....

oh and one last thing remember dont charge inside, slip, step or jab your way in.....then unload those short combos

hope it helps
          cheers, i'm doing lots of sparring where i have to stand in the corner and can't move for the whole round, just for training.. i'll let you know

Comment

If you go proper toe to toe in the true sense of the term, then basically you try beating them to every punch or combo. Use raw speed and power! Infighting is a bit different and requires a plan. It is better! Alot of coaching and practice will make you better at both. If you don't like or rate your coach, you will not learn it from him.

Comment

Originally posted by ~satchel~ View Post
              Any thoughts on fighting close range? I'm not talking about getting away, but how to throw punches and not be open for a counter punch. I am actually great at defending myself, but only if I cover up, not after I've opened myself up to punch.
              Bro, there's no such thing. Everytime you throw a punch, you're simply open. The best thing to do is to keep your punches compact and recoil right away. This lessens the window of opportunity for your opponent to counter .

Also, this may not be popular to alot. But I wouldn't put everything behind my uppercuts, keep 'em short, and don't throw it at full force, because if you throw an uppercut at full force and it misses, expect the mother of counters of all counters.

Comment

Originally posted by MASGAGOMEXI View Post
                Bro, there's no such thing. Everytime you throw a punch, you're simply open. The best thing to do is to keep your punches compact and recoil right away. This lessens the window of opportunity for your opponent to counter .

Also, this may not be popular to alot. But I wouldn't put everything behind my uppercuts, keep 'em short, and don't throw it at full force, because if you throw an uppercut at full force and it misses, expect the mother of counters of all counters.
                makes a lot of sense... i might just need to keep sparring what i know already an learn from practice.

Comment

Originally posted by MASGAGOMEXI View Post

Chicken, what happened to "coil back your punch after you punch" oh, but an uppercut....You throw an upper cut throw it hard and fast and if you miss just prepare to dip and like any punch remember to bring back you upper cut punch to the defence.

Comment

try to be like tyson as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X