Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones:Why do people hate this guy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones:Why do people hate this guy?

There seems to be a lot of hate for this guy, why is that? He never put down his opponents or disgraced himself in or out of the ring, so why all the hate?
    He fought only part time fighters
    22.22%
    He ducked fighters
    33.33%
    His fights were boring
    0.00%
    other (please specify)
    44.44%
    Last edited by Toney616; 08-14-2010, 10:58 AM.

Because he was too GOOD(and cocky).

Comment

Originally posted by T.McGrady View Post
      Because he was too GOOD(and cocky).
      Ali was the same, but he was a very well liked fighter (post exile), despite all of his racist talk

Comment

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
        Ali was the same, but he was a very well liked fighter (post exile), despite all of his racist talk
        Roy rivals the gods and he was out o this world in his prime. People hat that this guy is light years away from everybody elses fav fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyh1015 View Post
          Roy rivals the gods and he was out of this world in his prime. People hate that this guy is light years away from everybody elses fav fighters.
          Im sure there have been other fighters who were considered untouchable as well-Tyson was well respected when he was on top and considered to be unbeatable

Comment

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
            Back then, alot of people hated ali. 10yrs from now, people will start to appreciate jones.

Comment

I think partially it's because he was a media darling back in the day. Those kinds of fighters ALWAYS get the hate during their time (Ray Leonard, De La Hoya are good examples). I can't really understand why he's still getting the hate though.

Poet

Comment

It's usually Euros that hate on him.

The fact is that he missed a lot of good fighters for whatever reason. Most of them foreign: Benn, Eubank, McClellan, Collins, Watson, Jackson, Nunn, Liles, Dariusz, prime Hopkins, and never took the risky fights: Jirov and Holyfield.

He's a product of the HBO contract, where he could face whoever he wanted and still get millions for it.

He was an amazing fighter, but people act as if he was invincible. If you want you can put him inside your top 30 ATGs, but if we're basing it on resume, his is severely thin compared to everyone else around him. He was 2-0 against HOFers (ATG depending who you ask, myself included), in pedestrian wins even though one was weight drained (not his fault he was drained though) and the other still green. Salvador Sanchez was 4-0 4 KOs against HOFers, 1 against an undefeatd ATG.

And his fans barely give any credit, if any, to Tarver and G. Johnson for knocking him out. They'll automatically say he's shot, which is disrespectful in it of itself because the man was just past his prime which is far from being shot.

Comment

He beat 4 hall of famers: Toney(when undefeated), Hopkins(when undefeated), Trinidad, and McCallum.

He also beat undefeated fighters as Griffith, Gonzalez,and Harding. I highlight the undefeated part as it means more to be the first person to beat the person as future opponents will study the film and make a gameplan in how to beat you.

As far as the europeans mentioned, he was willing to fight many of those guys either in a neutral country or in the states. He didn't want to be a victim of gift decisions and when Cliinton Woods came over the atlantic; he took care of him. If you see what happened to Jones in the 1988 olympics and how he was robbed of the gold medal, you can understand some reticence in his part going to europe. Gee, even Carl Froch is making a big stink about where to fight Abraham.

When Jones beat Tarver in the first fight, he was 49-1 and his only loss a questional DQ, he even hinted at retirement, he told Merchant "If i don't get a megafight with Tyson I am done". But he came back when he should have move back up to heavyweight or try at cruiser.

I do think some of the missing guys in his resume did hurt him a little on the ATG P4P list, that is why many will rate Pac, Leonard, and Whitaker higher on the P4P list, although Jones is also a 4 class champion.

Comment

Euro judges = the ultimate homers. Ask Dirrell about fighting Farl Croch in Nottingham.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X