Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gloves that allow a more 'natural' fist shape?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves that allow a more 'natural' fist shape?

Hi everyone, first post and hoping for some good advice.

I damaged my thumb badly in an accident and now if I catch it when boxing it is agonizing. The problem is much exaggerated by the fact that my gloves (and others that I've looked at) hold the thumb sticking out to the side of the fist where it can easily be knocked.

Are there any good quality gloves that allow the thumb to be curled more around/underneath the fingers out of the way, more like the way you would make a fist without any gloves on?

Cleto Reyes gloves are great for that. They give good wrist support too, but you may get some complaints if you spar a lot because they're known for being puncher's gloves and not having as much padding around the knuckles.

If you're talking about just regular training you might try some of ringside's training gloves. I've had two pairs of those and not really any problems with either.

Grants are good too and generally have more knuckle padding but I've had a lot of trouble with the left thumb getting caught wearing those.

Comment

Many thanks. I looked at some photos of Cleto Reyes gloves and they look as if they have a bit more of a cutaway in the finger area than other gloves with the thumb folded across a little more? Is that right, or is it just a misleading photograph?

Comment

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
        Many thanks. I looked at some photos of Cleto Reyes gloves and they look as if they have a bit more of a cutaway in the finger area than other gloves with the thumb folded across a little more? Is that right, or is it just a misleading photograph?
        I think that's right although I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'cutaway in the finger area'. I have a pair and I've tried another and in both I felt like the thumb stayed tucked in pretty well.

Comment

I found some links showing pictures of both Grant and Reyes gloves, but I cannot add links to my posts yet because my post count is too low.

The thumb seems to fit a lot more tightly into the front shaping of the Reyes glove than it does in the Grant gloves, where it sticks out noticeably, which would fit exactly with what you said.

I hope you're right, as I'm going to save up and order the Reyes :-)

Comment

dont buy the reyes. not a good training glove. period.

Comment

Best training gloves in my opinion are

I own a pair and can tell you they are worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                dont buy the reyes. not a good training glove. period.
                Why do you say that?

They're expensive to use for hitting the bags but they're pretty much universally recognized as great sparring and competition gloves. The only complaint I've ever heard about them is people who say they don't give as much cushioning to the sparring partner you're hitting. Is that why you think they're no good?

Also, I've heard great things about Winning gloves as well but never tried them to speak from experience. They're supposed to be top of the line though.

Comment

Unfortunately the Winning gloves are rarer that rocking horse **** in the UK, so there's no chance for me to try a pair on before handing over the money. The Reyes are easy to get here though. I have dedicated bag gloves, so they would be for sparring and mitt work only. Sammiza567, what's wrong with the Reyes?

Comment

Look I love Reyes gloves and the way they feel for my hand but DO NOT USE THEM FOR SPARRING.

They are not a good sparring glove and most gyms I visit don't allow them because they are definitely a punchers glove.

If you want to spend a ton of money, then go Winning or Grant, those are top of the line sparring gloves.

If you want bang for your buck, then go with the new Ringside IMF sparring gloves. They are relatively inexpensive, feel great, have tons of padding and are already broken in.

http://www.ringside.com/ringside/box...ves-11306.html

Comment

Working...
                    X