Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: I Don't Give a Damn What People Think - I Will Fight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

someone please knock some sense into him

Comment

All I can say is this very sad.I know another poster said its on Roy if he gets hurt or worse.And I can understand that reasoning but these comm have a part in this too.Just like a drivers licence is a privledge so is a boxing one.Its not a right its a privledge and they need to step up and JUST SAY NO!I have posted on here about how fights are stopped way to soon since the football story broke I still think so.But if you wanna make boxing safer without destroying it QUIT letting clearly shot fighters to keep going.Roy,Toney Mosley ect ect.

Comment

Originally posted by devildg View Post
        someone please knock some sense into him
        If that's all it took I think he would already be done.I mean how many REAL BAD KOs do you need.Any boxing comm that lets him or other's like him fight should be all fired.

Comment

Problem is, he is after that elusive CW title that he should have picked up on his way to HW. Now the division is stacked with monsters that will KO him in one round. He really needs to retire. He has nothing left to prove.

Comment

Sad story...

Comment

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
              I used to say Hey Roy Hang 'Em Up, but who the fùck am I to tell Roy Jones Jr ANYTHING? Keep going brother. Do it until you can't do it anymore.

I'm with you, there. It's like if someone won a Nobel Prize in Physics in their 30s but is still going hard at 65 even though they'll never make another big breakthrough, who is some guy with no science background but has seen "Cosmos" to tell them they need to just give it up.

There is a sort of parallel there though that could defend the "Roy should hang em up" school of thought. Most big discoveries and breakthroughs in the hard/natural sciences come from people in their late twenties into their thirties (Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, Hawking), as they have learned the fundamentals and skills, but are still young enough to have original thought. Then the older scientists historically don't make the big discoveries, but can offer great insight into the bigger picture and history of the science and put things into perspective that younger scientists can't.
              The parallel is that boxers obviously perform the best in their physical prime, after they have fought enough fights to gain valuable experience but before they lose their reflexes/conditioning and before their body takes significant damage. But the successful trainers and analysts are past the point of being able to dazzle audiences. Their insight is crazy valuable though.

I guess my point is that one could argue Roy is to the point where his insight on the sport is way more valuable than his ability to dazzle, and that he should focus on offering the valuable insight, insight that 0.000001% of people in this world could give. But I'm sure the majority of the "Roy should hang 'em up" crowd haven't thought about it to that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Deontay Wilder View Post
                I see a big fight with Kovalev on the horizon
                God no......

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  Problem is, he is after that elusive CW title that he should have picked up on his way to HW. Now the division is stacked with monsters that will KO him in one round. He really needs to retire. He has nothing left to prove.
                  Moving up in weight then back down ruined him, he was never the same after that. I wish he would've stayed put and beat Tarver's arse.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre_parker1 View Post
                    can't any of these athletic commissions withdraw his license or what..then off he goes to Russia against roided monsters..another k.o loss then maybe pleas from family,pressure from peers,colleagues and the media will let reality set in that thick skull of his that he's an old man..he's lucky he's unhurt from going too long and has his faculties with him .others didn't go too long and their life's been scarred forever like magomed abdulsalamov just to name a few..praise God and hang em up 4 good!
                    In age standards he's not an old man, he is middle-aged, but by boxing standards, he is really old for the sport. Not everybody can "pull a Hopkins" and even the latter decided to retire!

Comment

Working...
                    X