No announcement yet.

Harry Greb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Greb

I wanted to know if any of you guys knoew anything about this fighter from a long long time ago, Harry Greb, all I know is he had an incredible record of 177-12 (Im not 100% sure of the accuracy of those stats, Its close though) but the incredible part is he was blind in one eye, and partially in the other, and he was a dirty fighter, not one of them types that didnt liked to follow the rules.

I need to do a report on an athlete for school, everyone is doing, Michael Jordan, Barry Bonds, etc. etc. I thought it would be pretty cool to do one on an unknown boxer, that no one really knows about, teach them something new.

Harry Greb regularly fought the best welterweights, middleweights, lt. heavyweights, and even heavyweights of his time, while weighing around 164 pounds. Nicknamed the "Human Windmill" because of his swarming style and non-stop punching from every conceivable angle. In a total of 299 bouts, he amassed a record of 262(48kos)-21-15, and beat legends such as Jack Blackburn, Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky, Kid Norfolk, Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Tiger Flowers, Mickey Walker, Maxie Rosenbloom, among others, without a big punch. As you can see, that's a simply mind boggling record.

It is said that he was permanently blind in one eye after receiving a thumb from Kid Norfolk, and his best opposition came after this happened. Incredible. About his style, it is said that it was like none other. Like i noted before, he was a swarmer that threw non-stop punches from all angles. Eye witness accounts say that he possessed some of the quickest hands of all-time. And of course, he was a notoriously dirty fighter, utilizing anything to win: elbows, laces, heatbutts, thumbs, et. al.

In the end, he was one of the greatest fighters to ever live and is in my top 5 for sure.

Comment

Check out www.harrygreb.com for pictures, info, and even some footage of the man.

Comment

He was awesome. Reportedly, he drank and smoked heavily throughout most of his career and still he managed to throw punches nonstop for 15 rounds. If true, it boggles my mind! Bert Sugar has him as the third greatest fighter of all time, p4p.

Comment

Originally posted by cple
          Harry Greb regularly fought the best welterweights, middleweights, lt. heavyweights, and even heavyweights of his time, while weighing around 164 pounds. Nicknamed the "Human Windmill" because of his swarming style and non-stop punching from every conceivable angle. In a total of 299 bouts, he amassed a record of 262(48kos)-21-15, and beat legends such as Jack Blackburn, Jack Dillon, Battling Levinsky, Kid Norfolk, Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Tiger Flowers, Mickey Walker, Maxie Rosenbloom, among others, without a big punch. As you can see, that's a simply mind boggling record.

It is said that he was permanently blind in one eye after receiving a thumb from Kid Norfolk, and his best opposition came after this happened. Incredible. About his style, it is said that it was like none other. Like i noted before, he was a swarmer that threw non-stop punches from all angles. Eye witness accounts say that he possessed some of the quickest hands of all-time. And of course, he was a notoriously dirty fighter, utilizing anything to win: elbows, laces, heatbutts, thumbs, et. al.

In the end, he was one of the greatest fighters to ever live and is in my top 5 for sure.
          Was he the best swarmer ever?

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh
            Was he the best swarmer ever?
            I can't necessarily confirm that, since i haven't seen him in action and the fact that there have been so many great swarmers: Dempsey, Frazier, Armstrong, LaMotta, et. al. But i'll say that he was probably the most accomplished swarmer that fought the best opposition.

Comment

The thing was not only was he a great swarmer, but also a great boxer in the traditional sense as well. Overall he was probably one of the most gifted fighter ever. Awesome handspeed, unlimited endurance, great chin and heart and lots of skill. He had everything but a big punch and if he had that he would probably be hands down the greatest fighting machine of all time.

Mediocre puncher as he was,I've read that he gave Dempsey all he could handle in sparring (and Dempsey didn't hold back when he sparred regardless of whether he was fighting a middleweight, a lightweight, his grandmother, anyone) and that tells you all you need to know there.

Comment

When did they spar, when Dempsey was champ or contender?

Comment

Harry Greb was also the only man to ever beat Gene Tunney.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
                    Check out www.harrygreb.com for pictures, info, and even some footage of the man.
                    thats a good link thanks for putting it up

Comment

Working...
                    X