Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cleverly Eyes Calzaghe's Throne: Hopkins on The Cards!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rampant View Post
    Damned if do damned if you dont, Im a bit undecided actually about this one for a few reasons.

What would a fight over b-hop tell us if Cleverly wins?
    Would we all then start saying well b-hop is past it, like we said when Calzaghe beat him (just mind you) so I guess its a good fight to go for next.
    I'd have to give Hopkins the edge in that fight but if Cleverly was to pull it off it would be a huge name on his resume. But no doubt a lot of people would say Hopkins is shot so it would kind of take the glare off the W.

B-Hop is still the cash cow in the division, he's the marquee name and a win over him can easily make someone a household name. I mean if Cleverly was to fight and beat Shumenov or Cloud he's commercial profile would hardly increase as a win over B-Hop would. Hopkins doesn't have a long time left in the sport hence why everybody wants a piece.

But Bernard is still the guy in control it's he who decides who gets a shot not the other way round and Cleverly is just throwing his name in the mix whether he, Shumenov or Cloud get the fight is entirely up to Hopkins and which fight makes more sense financially.

Comment

Cleverly's style is all wrong for Hopkins due to Cleverly's activity and Hopkins age. But that does not make Cleverly the next Calzaghee. Cal wasn't as easy to hit for one thing. Cleverly leaves himself open for perfect counters and that will cost him when he faces a bigger puncher. A good fighter but he will have problems against the best.

Comment

Originally posted by richardt View Post
        Cleverly's style is all wrong for Hopkins due to Cleverly's activity and Hopkins age. But that does not make Cleverly the next Calzaghee. Cal wasn't as easy to hit for one thing. Cleverly leaves himself open for perfect counters and that will cost him when he faces a bigger puncher. A good fighter but he will have problems against the best.
        Clev's style is all wrong for B.Hop?....I guess you'll be on the frontline after B.Hop breaks the kid's heart giving the oldman a world of props huh?...or you might be that hating ass dude who'll forget what he said and call Clev a nobody afterwards.....typical NSB ish!!

Comment

Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
          Clev's style is all wrong for B.Hop?....I guess you'll be on the frontline after B.Hop breaks the kid's heart giving the oldman a world of props huh!
          Hating?? Are you fuking kidding??!! Hop is one of my top 10 fighters I have ever seen in this lifetime but age has to catch up and I don't like seeing fighters start making a name off of such an amazing fighter that Hop has been. Cleverly could pitter-pat his way to a decision. Hop cannot expect to perform forever....ignoring that is avoiding reality. The only frontline I would be on is being amazed at Hopkins once again defying age but that cannot go on forever.
          Last edited by richardt; 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM.

Comment

To gain any credibility Clev's gonna have to look at unification against Shumenov, Cloud & Dawson & not claim the scalp of a fossil.

Comment

Okay name for B-Hops resume. Even though it looks like he'd beat him in a wheelchair so far.

Comment

I think Nathan Cleverly is properly over rated and is definitely not world level. BUT i agree with whoever said his activity beats B-HOP. One thing Cleverly does is work his a** off every fight. He throws a lot of punches and does not give the other guy a break.
                I don't think that a 48 year old Hopkins can live with the pace he would set. I would love to see B-HOP break him down physically and mentally but that's gotta be wishful thinking???

Comment

Originally posted by DonCarlos83 View Post
                  I think Nathan Cleverly is properly over rated and is definitely not world level. BUT i agree with whoever said his activity beats B-HOP. One thing Cleverly does is work his a** off every fight. He throws a lot of punches and does not give the other guy a break.
                  I don't think that a 48 year old Hopkins can live with the pace he would set. I would love to see B-HOP break him down physically and mentally but that's gotta be wishful thinking???
                  You don't beat B-Hop with unskilled volume punching. His lateral movement and clinching tend to cut it down drastically. Didn't work out for Pascal or Pavlik. In fact, they made him look like his old self at times.

It's easy enough to try and set the pace against him, it's another to pull it off. That's why he's still around.

And will be around for about the next 50 years.

Comment

Whats this I hear about Calzaghe having a throne? News to me, thanks Boxingscene!

Comment

Working...
                    X