No announcement yet.

Tarver is a kickass commentator

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarver is a kickass commentator

I've heard people say it before but it really hit me during the Ward vs Kessler fight. Everytime he came in, you just felt you were in safe hands, with someone who knew what they were talking about, and someone who was enthusiastic about what he was seeing.

The latter point brings up one of the problems I have with the HBO team these days; they just seem to be going through the motions.

But anyway, yeah, I thought Tarver was great the other night. Him and Berstein are tremendous.

Yeah he's an excellent commentator. I've heard people moaning that he's rubbish, but I bet thats because he knocked out Roy Jones or something lol or they just don't like him as a person.

He's wayyy better than Lennox Lewis. Like you said, you feel like Tarver will have smt insightful to say and he does. With Lewis it just feels like he's telling you what you already know, and for sum1 who was at the peak of the sport he doesn't have a whole lot to say.

But it's not his fault he's in the job. It's HBO's. They should recognise.

Comment

I was surprised myself. Did a very good job.

Comment

He's good and got a nice way with the words while HBO are dragging behind with the painful Jim Lampley and co (Max Kellerman is actually the most interesting one to listen to from that team)

Comment

no doubt hes great ... but he was always a good talker. now sho has to ****ing fire gus johnson

Comment

He gets nervous and jittery when he's on camera, but thatll go away eventually. He is definitely good though

Comment

He is a very good commentator & I believe that showtime as a whole,does a better job than hbo at this moment!!Hbo seems to occupied pampering the stars & putting on ppv's to be concerned with the quality that showtime has been putting forth!!Plus showtime has fights on friday's as well!!Angulo & Kirkland & quite a few fighters started on showtime,they should have stayed if u ask me!!

Comment

what did you expect? dude was one of the best **** talkers in the sport. He was quick with his words, never stuttered, never used fillers.

Comment

Originally posted by starjammer View Post
                  Yeah he's an excellent commentator. I've heard people moaning that he's rubbish, but I bet thats because he knocked out Roy Jones or something lol or they just don't like him as a person.

He's wayyy better than Lennox Lewis. Like you said, you feel like Tarver will have smt insightful to say and he does. With Lewis it just feels like he's telling you what you already know, and for sum1 who was at the peak of the sport he doesn't have a whole lot to say.

But it's not his fault he's in the job. It's HBO's. They should recognise.
                  I loved Lennox as a fighter, had little time for Tarver. But Tarver wipes the floor with him.

I remember Hopkins did ESNP for a bit, and people were raving about him.....but I honestly think Tarver is much, much better.

He lacks the charisma of RJJ and Big George but I'm surprised how good he is, so soon into this new career.

Just another reason why Showtime are jizzing all over HBO right now.

As someone said, HBO seem to be all about the big fights/fighters/PPV, but Showtime is for the purists. There's a place for both, but Showtime > HBO right now.

Comment

Tarver and Shannon Briggs are both fantastic behind a Mic. It is a shame Shannon does not get more gigs because he is damn good also IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X