No announcement yet.

Henry Armstrong and Pacman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Armstrong and Pacman

I just have a question, what would pacman have to do to draw comparison to henry armstrong in todays era?

People already have drawn a comparison.

Its impossibble to do wat Armstrong did now with so many titles. But Pac has come the closest i think, winning the super feather, lightweight and welter weight titles in a small amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
      I just have a question, what would pacman have to do to draw comparison to henry armstrong in todays era?
      ** Barney Ross held the lightweight, jrwelt, and welt titles at the same time before Armstrong completed his trifecta.

Got little credit. Henry was just starting a tear that was more impressive than 3 division titles that seldom gets mentioned. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
        ** Barney Ross held the lightweight, jrwelt, and welt titles at the same time before Armstrong completed his trifecta.

Got little credit. Henry was just starting a tear that was more impressive than 3 division titles that seldom gets mentioned. Go figure.
        Ross hit the trifecta before Armstrong, but acually gave up his lightweight title before facing Jimmy McClarnin for the welterweight championship.

Comment

Well if he get's a 7th title on top of his 4 lineal achievement..people sure as hell better recognize him in the history books. He's already done more than Roberto Duran resume - wise.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            Ross hit the trifecta before Armstrong, but acually gave up his lightweight title before facing Jimmy McClarnin for the welterweight championship.
            ** According to boxrec, he relenquished his jr welt and lightweight title just prior to the rubber with McLarnin.

He held both when he beat McClarnin for the welt title the first time. McLarnin won the rematch which left Ross with the two titles until the rubber.

Comment

Ross didn't give up the lightweight and junior welterweight titles until Apr 15th of 1935, Jab, as reported in all the big papers (NY Times, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, etc.) the following day on the 16th. By that time he had already won and lost to McLarnin in two fights for the welterweight championship.

Comment

ross didnt give up his lighweight title to fight jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                  just be himself!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post
                    ** According to boxrec, he relenquished his jr welt and lightweight title just prior to the rubber with McLarnin.

He held both when he beat McClarnin for the welt title the first time. McLarnin won the rematch which left Ross with the two titles until the rubber.
                    Well, when Im wrong, Im wrong.

Went back and looked it up in his biography and it pretty much says the same as you and Yogi. Interestingly, the IBHOF has him vacating his lightweight title after the second Canzoneri fight.

I won't split hairs, as better boxing minds than my own have prevailed here.

Comment

Working...
                    X