No announcement yet.

Ali was a underrated movie.Great opening scene with Sam Cooke

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Raging Bull is one of the best films ever.
    i'll assail it.

Scorsese didn't care less about LaMotta. his narrow sensibilities were completely unsympathetic to the man ('uh, some sports guy') and he had to be coaxed into making the film by De Niro, whose pet project/ego-vehicle it was. of course, Scorsese's attitude to the piece became very self-satisfied and warm as he revelled in all the unexpected critical gushing and 'masterpiece' accolades heaped on it down the years (over-praise, imo) - as such, he's more than happy to talk about it now as if it were some great passion of his creative life, for the reason that it has earned him so much flattering kudos.
    De Niro, meanwhile, captured some superficial sense of LaMotta, but was unable to channel Jake's soul (or, perhaps, even realize the depth of it to begin with). it was a macho-vanity performance.

i think it's a heavily flawed film in its unmindfully skewed reflection of Jake. but it looks pretty (here, Scorsese did invest some passion) and Moriarty is worth the price of admission.
    Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-04-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
      I never really liked ali. To me it sounded more like will smith was doing an ali impression than trying to "be the person"
      Completely agree. The movie was boring. It wasn't raw enough. Way too Hollywood for my taste.

Comment

'Ali' was a terrible movie, though Smith's performance is deserving of the accolades which he received for it.

@ 'Raging Bull' just being about "some head first slugger who had rage". Clearly not a cinematic scholar, eh?

Comment

I like the original where Ali played in it

Comment

will smith just could'nt pull it off as an ali imo .. i did'nt see an ali in that movie , instead a full of make up fresh prince of bell air...

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
              A Lennox Lewis movie would be more impressive right, Skittlez?
              There will never be a Lennox Lewis movie because no actor will ever be worthy of portraying Lennox Lewis.

Comment

i think terrence howard would've played the role perfectly....

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                  i think terrence howard would've played the role perfectly....
                  Ya.. maybe. He does sort of look like Lewis.. during Lennox's sexual prime.

But he's 5 inches shorter.. so he might need stiles or some thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                    Ya.. maybe. He does sort of look like Lewis.. during Lennox's sexual prime.

But he's 5 inches shorter.. so he might need stiles or some thing.
                    the later lennox lewis looked more like a very tall busta rhymes.. the younger one looked like edward winslow...

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
                      the later lennox lewis looked more like a very tall busta rhymes.. the younger one looked like edward winslow...
                      Isn't Busta Rhytmes a shyt actor though?

I will check his work to see if he is qualified.

Comment

Working...
                      X