Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones vs. Sonnen set for April

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** fight. I mean it was OK to save the card, and to help the undercards get a payday, but as something that can be planned now?

Comment

UFC has officially sold out. Huge dent to their credibility.

Considering all of the factors here(timing, real sport-like rankings and contenders deserving titleshot etc.) this is the most idiotic move for the sake of entertainment over logics since 2008 when Brock Lesnar got a titleshot over Werdum.

You'd think with how much the sport has evolved not just skillfully but as a sport as well, you wouldn't be seeing such disgraceful things in 2012. I don't care what that bald Snake says to defend this decision, it's unjustifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
        UFC has officially sold out. Huge dent to their credibility.
        Now they've officially sold out?

LOL.

They've been putting their product on reality TV for over 7 years now.

Get a clue, man. The UFC is a business first and foremost.

Chael= Ratings
        Ratings = Revenue

It's a hard fact that we all have to deal with.

I don't know why some people still don't get this. And to think most of the people screaming bullshyt are probably fans of Pride and Japanese MMA. Talking smack and putting on freakshow fights and squash matches. Same thing
        Last edited by TheNegation; 10-17-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNegation View Post
          Now they've officially sold out?

LOL.

They've been putting their product on reality TV for over 7 years now.

Get a clue, man. The UFC is a business first and foremost.

Chael= Ratings
          Ratings = Revenue

It's a hard fact that we all have to deal with.

I don't know why some people still don't get this. And to think most of the people screaming bullshyt are probably fans of Pride and Japanese MMA. Talking smack and putting on freakshow fights and squash matches. Same thing
          Lets start with the basics for you before we move on with this conversation.

The two coaches on TUF actually fight after the show is done. Are you with me so far?

Comment

Lets start with the basics for you before we move on with this conversation.

The two coaches on TUF actually fight after the show is done. Are you with me so far?
            Actually they don't always fight after the show.

Regardless, arrive at the the point.

Your attempt to be condescending doesn't make you cool, nor is it having any affect on me. So get to the point. If you even have one
            Last edited by TheNegation; 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I feel like you didn't get me. To me it doesn't really have anything to do with the tv show, it's just the fact that they give the titleshot to the assclown who is the least deserving one on the planet for the sake of entertainment i.e. money. All that effort spend on making this a legit sport just goes down the drain like that.

Comment

I feel like you didn't get me. To me it doesn't really have anything to do with the tv show, it's just the fact that they give the titleshot to the assclown who is the least deserving one on the planet for the sake of entertainment i.e. money. All that effort spend on making this a legit sport just goes down the drain like that.
                I do understand what you're saying.

I'm just citing that they've been participating in Reality TV for quite a while now as an example of selling out. You saying they've officially sold out is kinda stupid, because really they sold out a long time ago when they decided to do TUF.

Secondly TV show or Main Event fight, the point remains that the UFC is a business and businesses are about making money. Chael as undeserving as he is, will make more money that a Hendo, Gustaffson or a rematch with anybody Jones has already beaten. It's not like they have a whole lot of options and Gustaffson still doesn't have enough hype behind him or big wins to quantify getting in the ring with Jones yet.

It's not like Chael is a complete scrub either. I've never seen the guy shy away from contact or completely disengage from a fight. He's not a guy who is going to get in the ring and just stand around like Belfort or run away when he gets hit. He'll make it a fight for as long as he can, I think he has a decent shot.

Plus the foundation of hype for this fight has already been laid out for a couple months now. I don't know why the UFC would go another direction.

Comment

Sonnen Answers Critics

Former top middleweight contender Chael Sonnen shot back Wednesday at fighters who expressed disapproval that he has been granted a title shot against UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

"Welcome to life. We don't deserve things, you get what you get," Sonnen said during a media call to officially announce that he and Jones will be rival coaches on next season's version of 'The Ultimate Fighter.'

"And let's understand, not one of those fighters said, 'Hey Dana, I'll fight Chael. Hey Dana, let me prove that I am the No. 1 contender. Let me fight that guy.' Not one of them," he said. "They all sat there and said their little things. But I called everyone one of those bastards out and I'll call them out right now.

"I have no problem getting a tune-up fight and slapping anyone of those guys around, including the karate kid."

Sonnen's last comment was directed at Lyoto Machida. The former UFC light-heavyweight champion was among Sonnen's harshest critics.

"With all respect, but for me, Chael does not deserve the title shot," Machida said Wednesday on Twitter. "I would like to know what he (has) done in (the) light-heavyweight division (to) deserve (it)!"

Machida wasn't alone in questioning Sonnen's status as a valid light heavyweight title contender. Former Strikeforce light-heavyweight champion Dan Henderson also took to Twitter and chimed in on the matter.

"I guess I should just quit training to win fights and be exciting for the fans and just go to (trash) talking school," Henderson said.

Henderson was slated to face Jones on Sept. 1 at UFC 151 in Las Vegas. But he suffered a partial MCL tear that forced him to withdraw from the bout.

UFC president Dana White then offered the bout to Machida, who declined to take the fight on short notice.

Sonnen (17-12-1) then tossed his hat into the mix, agreeing to step in for Henderson and face Jones. But the champion decided against fighting Sonnen on eight days' notice and UFC 151 was canceled.

Jones (17-1) went go on to defeat Vitor Belfort on Sept. 22 at UFC 152 in Toronto. But Jones suffered an elbow injury during the bout that is expected to sideline him until April.

Jones and Sonnen are scheduled to fight on April 27. White said the fight could take place in New Jersey.

"Dan Henderson had the opportunity for the (title) fight; he got injured," White said on the media call. "He got injured, now Jones is injured. Jones is injured until April.

"Every one of these guys who is (complaining) about a title shot now were offered the fight and turned it down. They refused to fight Jon Jones.

"Now they are bummed out because Chael stepped up on eight days' notice and he's going to coach 'The Ultimate Fighter' and fight him."

The fight against Jones will be Sonnen's first since July 7 when he was knocked out by middleweight champion Anderson Silva in the second round at UFC 148 in Las Vegas.

Sonnen has not competed at light heavyweight since Oct. 7, 2005, when he was submitted by Renato Sobral in the second round at UFC 55. That fight took place at Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn.
                  http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/85...ght-title-shot

LOL at calling Machida the karate kid. And apparently Jones and Sonnen are coaching TUF next

Comment

A hater here said Jones is scared of Sonnen when Bones refused to fight him because of a laughable reason.

The same hater said its a joke of a fight for fighting blown up MW when Jones' finally going to fight the loudmouthed Sonnen.

LMAO.

Comment

As much as i like the UFC , this fight just doesnt make any sense to me.. They did the same **** with Silva - Bonnar. This is just Dana White being greedy. There's gonna tons of hype ( as usual ) and Sonnen will get destroyed in the 1st round.

Comment

Working...
                      X