No announcement yet.

George Dixon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Dixon

George Dixon was the worlds first black champion at any weight. Boxrec has his record as 65-30-48. The International hall of fame has it as 50-26-44. dixons manager claimed befor his deat that Dixon had over 800 "unofficial" fights sometimes fighting as many as 15 time a week.

No matter which account you choose to believe Dixons record is somewhat decieving as he was often robbed of the decision due to racial times, or forced to carry a fighter if he wanted to get paid. He often fought where if no knockout was scored the fight was declared a draw.

In 1901 Dixon fought and battered Abe Attell only to get a draw when the referee resused to call him the winner. According to historian Traci Calis, 90% of Dixons losses and draws should have been wins. That would of given him a staggering record.

Dixon fought a who's who of great fighters from late 19th and early 20th century. Jim Driscoll, Abe Atell, Young Corbett II, Pedlar Palmer, Young Griffo and Terry McGovern.

He also founded the "Black school of pugilism" where such fighters as Joe Gans, Jack Blackburn and Jack Johnson learned from him.

Dixon is largely forgotten today, but still resides near the top of almost any top 10 all time bantamweight list and is still probably a top 50 all time p4p fighter to people who seriously follow boxings history.

If any of you professional or amatuer historians have anything to add, or a comment, it would be appreciated.

George Dixon

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    George Dixon was the worlds first black champion at any weight. Boxrec has his record as 65-30-48. The International hall of fame has it as 50-26-44. dixons manager claimed befor his deat that Dixon had over 800 "unofficial" fights sometimes fighting as many as 15 time a week.

No matter which account you choose to believe Dixons record is somewhat decieving as he was often robbed of the decision due to racial times, or forced to carry a fighter if he wanted to get paid. He often fought where if no knockout was scored the fight was declared a draw.

In 1901 Dixon fought and battered Abe Attell only to get a draw when the referee resused to call him the winner. According to historian Traci Calis, 90% of Dixons losses and draws should have been wins. That would of given him a staggering record.

Dixon fought a who's who of great fighters from late 19th and early 20th century. Jim Driscoll, Abe Atell, Young Corbett II, Pedlar Palmer, Young Griffo and Terry McGovern.

He also founded the "Black school of pugilism" where such fighters as Joe Gans, Jack Blackburn and Jack Johnson learned from him.

Dixon is largely forgotten today, but still resides near the top of almost any top 10 all time bantamweight list and is still probably a top 50 all time p4p fighter to people who seriously follow boxings history.

If any of you professional or amatuer historians have anything to add, or a comment, it would be appreciated.
    George Dixon was a two-time featherweight champion of the world. He held his first title for seven years, from 1890-1897, and his second reign lasted from 1898-1900. He was the first Black world champion, and unfortunately he died at the tender age of 38. My father used to tell me that he was robbed several times in his career, yet he was able to be Featherweight champion of the world for nearly 9 years before Jack Johnson began his legendary reign as the Heavyweight King. George Dixon is in the Boxing Hall of Fame, and I feel not only is he a top 10 bantam of all time, but a top 10 feather as well. Thank you for bringing him to everyone's attention. I hope someone can explain to me why he died so young.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
      I hope someone can explain to me why he died so young.
      Dixon's last days were one of the many sad stories so often seen throughout boxing history, and to make a long story short, he was a serious alcoholic in his last days and his heart gave out on him just a couple of days after checking himself into a hospital.

One of the saddest things is this great champion almost found himself buried in one of those potter's fields because, before his death, he was basically homeless, broke, and virtually all alone after all of his previous "friends" had abandoned him (Dixon was notorious for his generousity and helped his "friends" whenever possible with his ring earnings). Fortunately though, the fight community came forth with the money for a proper burial, including Joe Gans, who was said to have bought the monument for his grave.

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread, Jab, on who was so often called the "greatest little fighter" of those early days (many refered to him without the "little", as well, and simply called him the best of his time regardless of size), and I'll try to add some good things to it tomorrow if time permits.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
        Dixon's last days were one of the many sad stories so often seen throughout boxing history, and to make a long story short, he was a serious alcoholic in his last days and his heart gave out on him just a couple of days after checking himself into a hospital.

One of the saddest things is this great champion almost found himself buried in one of those potter's fields because, before his death, he was basically homeless, broke, and virtually all alone after all of his previous "friends" had abandoned him (Dixon was notorious for his generousity and helped his "friends" whenever possible with his ring earnings). Fortunately though, the fight community came forth with the money for a proper burial, including Joe Gans, who was said to have bought the monument for his grave.
        Its almost unbeleivable how good many of these fighters were under the circumstances of the day. Alcoholism, disease and sickness, injuries etc. One thing that seems to have not changed is the hangers on who disappear as soon as the money is gone. That will never change.

Thanks for the info, Yogi.

P.S. Thanks for starting this thread, Jab, on who was so often called the "greatest little fighter" of those early days (many refered to him without the "little", as well, and simply called him the best of his time regardless of size), and I'll try to add some good things to it tomorrow if time permits.
        We'll be looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          We'll be looking forward to it!
          Hey JAB. have you seen the footage of George Dixon that I posted on one of my threads ?? -??????????????????-------------It's great stuff !!!!!

Comment

Bumped for those who're interested and have an opinion on Dixon, his times, career or life.

Comment

Originally posted by McGoorty View Post
              Hey JAB. have you seen the footage of George Dixon that I posted on one of my threads ?? -??????????????????-------------It's great stuff !!!!!
              I missed it bro. Feel free to repost it though, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one interested.

Comment

Great thread jab..

Dixon was one of the pioneers of scientific boxing...many years after his retirement the man was often hailed as the pioneer of scientific boxing...One of the best little fighters of all time.

here are some excerpts from an article I read long ago..

"
                Dixon had many admirers in the white boxing community, and old-timers of later eras would fondly remember his career. In 1893 he wrote an autobiography, A Lesson in Boxing. But some of the same racial controversies that swirled around the career of heavyweight boxer Jack Johnson also plagued the high-living, sharp-dressing Dixon, who married the sister of his manager O'Rourke. After he knocked out Jack Skelly at the Olympia Club in New Orleans, Louisiana, on September 6, 1892, the club banned mixed-race bouts. His fight against "Torpedo" Billy Murphy on December 15, 1893, ended in a riot.

Still, some of Dixon's fights were considered classics. An example was Dixon's 25-round draw against Australia's Young Griffo on January 19, 1895. Those who attended the fight on Coney Island in New York, noted the Washington Post in 1915, "had the opportunity of witnessing an encounter between two boys who have certainly never been excelled, and probably never equaled, in the matter of ring science."

"
                On January 9, 1900, Dixon came out on the losing end of an eight-round knockout at the hands of "Terrible Terry" McGovern in New York. Although Dixon claimed that McGovern had not made weight for the fight, he lost again to McGovern later that year. Dixon fought Abe Attell for the featherweight title in 1901, but his long period of dominance was over. "Loose living," noted the Washington Post, "had made inroads on his constitution." The aging fighter toured England from late 1902 through 1905, hoping to stave off financial problems that had left him with little more in the way of assets than a home he owned in Boston; he was reported to have burned through winnings of more than $100,000. After a December 10, 1906, loss to a boxer named Monk the Newsboy, Dixon retired from the ring.

Hospitalized because of complications from alcoholism, Dixon died in New York on January 6, 1909"

He was also involved in a cool 70 rounds fight with Charles "Cal" McCarthy in 1890...yea 70 rounds.

Comment

John L sullivan....one of the biggest racists in boxing....

had had enough with drinking and had quit, in speaking out against drinking he befirended George Dixon. Dixon would go on to say that John L sullivan was the only man in puglisim that hadnt turned him down.

also it seems george dixion is not only the worlds first african american belt holder, but also the worlds first holder of multiple belts, and the worlds first boxer to lose and regain his title in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
                    also it seems george dixion is not only the worlds first african american belt holder, but also the worlds first holder of multiple belts, and the worlds first boxer to lose and regain his title in the ring.
                    He's Canadian, he was the first black man and the first Canadian to hold a title, first African American would be Joe Gans.

Comment

Working...
                    X