Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much faith would you have in trainers that weren't fighters???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much faith would you have in trainers that weren't fighters???

You're a fighter with some promise. Would you train under the enzo calzaghes or nonito donaire sr.s of the world??? Even if you did how much faith would you have in them??

I'd have a lot of faith. Did Ray Arcel box? What about Dundee? Eddie Futch never boxed in his life due to a heart condition. Honestly, a trainer that has boxed does have some upside because he knows the feeling to be in the ring but lets be honest, most boxers aren't students of the game. They know how to fight, which is great but they don't know the ins and outs imo. So while they spend part of their life actually lacing it up it's guys that actually study the sport their whole life who actually know more than the actual boxer themselves.

Comment

Why not? The best trainers in history weren't fighters at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
        I'd have a lot of faith. Did Ray Arcel box? What about Dundee? Eddie Futch never boxed in his life due to a heart condition. Honestly, a trainer that has boxed does have some upside because he knows the feeling to be in the ring but lets be honest, most boxers aren't students of the game. They know how to fight, which is great but they don't know the ins and outs imo. So while they spend part of their life actually lacing it up it's guys that actually study the sport their whole life who actually know more than the actual boxer themselves.
        i have to disagree it is the fighter that makes the trainer not the other way around. ability is god given and no trainer can give a fighter something that was not given to that fighter at birth, the best teacher in the world can not teach a blind man to see, and to me being a trainer is being able to relay information in a effective maner, the art of knowing what you are looking at and the authority to make the fighter belive in what you see. now mind you there have been great trainers who have never boxed but for my money i will take the trainer who has boxed before because they would have more of a feel for all aspects of the game from the inside out so to speak.

Comment

It's already been said.

The best trainers in the history of the sport never boxed a day. The greatest trainer of all time, Ray Arcel, never boxed in his entire life.

You don't have to be a boxer to know Boxing, or be a student of the game.

That much is an absolute fact.

Comment

TBH I find most boxing trainers to be overrated. It all depends on what kind of talent ends up coming their way.

I got more respect for a guy like robert garcia who works with mostly kids from the local area and builds them into world champions (ortiz, rios, his cousin danny) than freddy roach who gets hand picked Olympians from all over the world and they still lose

Comment

Originally posted by Forza View Post
              TBH I find most boxing trainers to be overrated. It all depends on what kind of talent ends up coming their way.

I got more respect for a guy like robert garcia who works with mostly kids from the local area and builds them into world champions (ortiz, rios, his cousin danny) than freddy roach who gets hand picked Olympians from all over the world and they still lose
              Ill agree with you but ortiz and rios arent local kids and they were olympians(well rios tried anyway) and the entire garcia family has been a fighting family

Comment

Working...
              X