Where Does Mike Tyson Rank As An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
    Few things to address:

Tyson was the youngest heavyweight champion, Patterson was the youngest undisputed heavyweight champion. There was only one heavyweight title when Patterson fought but multiple belts when Tyson was around. Mike beat a champion in Trevor Berbick to win his title, that makes him a champion. He became undisputed champion at the age of 21, making him the second youngest undisputed champion ever.
    Berbick was never a heavyweight champion. He was a beltholder. Neither he, nor anyone that he defeated, beat Holmes or Spinks. Same goes for Smith and Tucker. Tyson wasn't the undisputed champion until he beat Spinks at age 23.

Originally posted by TysonBomb View Post
    Tyson biting Holyfield was not him quitting ... he was pissed at hell that nothing was being done about his intentional - not incidental or accidental- but intentional headbutts. He won the first fight because of them and when Tyson gained some momentum he resumed the same disgraceful, cheating tactic from the first fight. Mike wasn't going to take it anymore and lost it.

That isn't "quitting" or looking for a way out like what Vitali Klitschko or Zab Judah have done ... Tyson even commented in the post fight interview that he wanted to fight.
    If what you're saying is true about the headbutts being deliberate, then Tyson should have fouled Holyfield back in a way that wasn't guaranteed to get him disqualified. Tyson was a master at throwing elbows, but I don't remember anyone biting off a part of his anatomy. Tyson landed savage elbows on Frank Bruno in their first fight... did that give Bruno the right to eat Tyson in their rematch?

Or maybe, just maybe, big bad Mike Tyson should have, I don't know, knocked Holyfield out to make him pay for the headbutts?

Iron Mike- The Baddest Man on the Planet- the monster from the streets of Brooklyn... can't handle a few dirty tricks. Funny how after he was DQ'd he wanted to charge at Holyfield- the "hold me back" trick as Teddy Atlas called it.

He quit.
    He wanted the fight to be over, but he wanted to retain the "I'm a crazy lunatic" mantle he had built up over the years. Only TysonTards like yourself think otherwise.
    Last edited by SBleeder; 01-03-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
      Berbick was never a heavyweight champion. He was a beltholder. Neither he, nor anyone that he defeated, beat Holmes or Spinks. Same goes for Smith and Tucker. Tyson wasn't the undisputed champion until he beat Spinks at age 23.

If what you're saying is true about the headbutts being deliberate, then Tyson should have fouled Holyfield back in a way that wasn't guaranteed to get him disqualified. Tyson was a master at throwing elbows, but I don't remember anyone biting off a part of his anatomy. Tyson landed savage elbows on Frank Bruno in their first fight... did that give Bruno the right to eat Tyson in their rematch?

Or maybe, just maybe, big bad Mike Tyson should have, I don't know, knocked Holyfield out to make him pay for the headbutts?

Iron Mike- The Baddest Man on the Planet- the monster from the streets of Brooklyn... can't handle a few dirty tricks. Funny how after he was DQ'd he wanted to charge at Holyfield- the "hold me back" trick as Teddy Atlas called it.

He quit.
      He wanted the fight to be over, but he wanted to retain the "I'm a crazy lunatic" mantle he had built up over the years. Only TysonTards like yourself think otherwise.
      Tyson never got angry at douglas, lewis, williams because he felt he was beat by pure boxing and said it after each fight but tyson was frustrated with the hold push and smother technique that botha and holyfield used, when you see him bite him the second time he eggs holfield to come on and fight. Also the round he bit him the first time he was having his best round until holyfield went back to holding, so tyson bit the barstard! Tyson was dirty though but he elbowed guys he was beating on the scorecards just because he dint like being held not because he was losing

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
        Tyson never got angry at douglas, lewis, williams because he felt he was beat by pure boxing and said it after each fight but tyson was frustrated with the hold push and smother technique that botha and holyfield used, when you see him bite him the second time he eggs holfield to come on and fight. Also the round he bit him the first time he was having his best round until holyfield went back to holding, so tyson bit the barstard! Tyson was dirty though but he elbowed guys he was beating on the scorecards just because he dint like being held not because he was losing
        I see. If one fighter is getting frustrated and beaten by tactics that don't allow him to be effective, he's justified in biting his opponent.

It's a good thing Sonny Liston didn't subscribe to this philosophy. He would have eaten Clay's entire left leg. Pass the barbecue sauce, please.
        Last edited by SBleeder; 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Tyson almost did that himself, in a press conference leading up to the Lewis fight. He reportedly bit Lewis' leg. Yeah enough with the Tyson excuses. Nobody's denying Holyfield's illegal tactics. That doesn't justify biting someone. Nothing does. There's no defense for what Tyson did.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
            I see. If one fighter is getting frustrated and beaten by tactics that don't allow him to be effective, he's justified in biting his opponent.

It's a good thing Sonny Liston didn't subscribe to this philosophy. He would have eaten Clay's entire left leg. Pass the barbecue sauce, please.
            lol ha ha nice. I do believe if som1 holds you, you do have the right to a feast on his ear, jus my opinion. Na tyson was an angry bastard and was more worried about inflicting pain than he was of quitting that fight.

Comment

Somewhere in the top 60, maybe. Top 10 as a HW.

Comment

He was a good fighter for a few years and remained a big draw for many years after he was any good. I wouldn't call him a great fighter.

Comment

Tyson in his prime was a great fighter, but he's not an ATG for me

Comment

Originally posted by Saint G Groves View Post
                    Tyson in his prime was a great fighter, but he's not an ATG for me
                    He established himself as a clear ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
                      lol ha ha nice. I do believe if som1 holds you, you do have the right to a feast on his ear, jus my opinion. Na tyson was an angry bastard and was more worried about inflicting pain than he was of quitting that fight.
                      If he didn't want to quit, he could have inflicted pain with his fists, not his teeth. But that would have required him to go to war with Holyfield for 12 rounds, and Tyson wanted none of that.

Comment

Working...
                      X