No announcement yet.

opposite stance tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opposite stance tips?

As a southpaw I'm looking for as much advice I can not on combinations and punches but more strategy and positioning advice. What are some principles yous follow whenn fighting someone in the opposite stance? and why does it work? I'm sure this could help a lot of people so this thread should be good. Thank you

Originally posted by shs101 View Post
    As a southpaw I'm looking for as much advice I can not on combinations and punches but more strategy and positioning advice. What are some principles yous follow whenn fighting someone in the opposite stance? and why does it work? I'm sure this could help a lot of people so this thread should be good. Thank you
    Here is 1 tip. Watch this entire fight 7 times. Once to just listen to Teddy Atlas. 2 to watch Gato's offense, 3 to watch Gato's footwork, 4 Gato's positioning, then the same just watching Bailey.
    Also I am uploading a video in about 15 minutes to my pg breaking down a good pro southpaw. It will feature master techniques like head control etc if you watch with your mind it should be really useful

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
      Here is 1 tip. Watch this entire fight 7 times. Once to just listen to Teddy Atlas. 2 to watch Gato's offense, 3 to watch Gato's footwork, 4 Gato's positioning, then the same just watching Bailey.

Also I am uploading a video in about 15 minutes to my pg breaking down a good pro southpaw. It will feature master techniques like head control etc if you watch with your mind it should be really useful
      Just watched your new video and its great. Nice work ive been a huge fan for a while. Since you replied here I might as well ask an extra question regarding opposite stance.

A trainer once told me to keep my foot on the INSIDE when jabbing...was wondering your thoughts on this? And any other specifics regarding foot position and certain punches

Comment

Just watched your new video and its great. Nice work ive been a huge fan for a while. Since you replied here I might as well ask an extra question regarding opposite stance.

A trainer once told me to keep my foot on the INSIDE when jabbing...was wondering your thoughts on this? And any other specifics regarding foot position and certain punches
        Generally I will tell you to train foot on the inside, outside, jabbing from both positions and train every punch. Just be aware of WHY your doing what your doing at that particular time. For example maybe you may want to throw a power punch with your left hand against a conventional fighter. That puts you at a big risk if you dont come back with a right hook, jab, body shot(change head slots), or head control. It's important to train everything because if you fight a southpaw, now instead of starting your offense going to the right like when you fight a conventional fighter, you must start your offense going to the left.

The biggest advice I can give you is to train everything because if you train to be a robot and then a guy has a wrinkle you haven't seen before in the gym, your a very limited and vulnerable fighter. The less robotic the better.

Thanks for the kind words

Comment

There are general rules, but you also need to read and learn about your opponent. As a general rule, you always want to keep your lead foot outside of his lead foot, circling in that direction(away from his power hand/right in this case). Wuth that said, you have to quickly read and study your opponent, i.e. maybe his lead hand is his strong hand, and you dont want to continue circling into it, catching powerful hooks all the time, etc.

As far as jabs, most to all the time youll find your jab is ineffective to a degree. Doesnt mean you shouldnt throw it, just dont be surprised if it doesnt land much. What you will find effective, is straight lefts to the midsection. A simple, yet effective 1-2 would be a jab followed with a straight left to his body.

Edit: as barry said, you need to be proficient in all aspects of your fighting game. You cant live in one mindset, as at some point in time youll find youll die in that mindset. Read your opponents steengths and weaknesses, and adapt.

Also want to comment on the 1-2 i gave you. Dont live by it, dont create patterns. You gotta switch it up, otherwise somebody like me will guess/time you and as soon as you throw a jab, knowing the left to the body is coming, im going to throw a hard right upstairs back at you. Etc.
          Last edited by ~AK49~; 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X