Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr. vs Rocky Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess the original Rock says know your damn role, with his fists.

Comment

rock smash midround to negate jones early points lead.

Comment

I'd say RJJ should come in at 185 pounds for this fight. Although I think Marciano would eventually stop him after being out boxed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwump View Post
          Jones would be beaten before the fight even started when the guys whose surnames end in vowels made him ... ahem ... an offer he daren't refuse.
          lol.

i doubt rock ever got anything from the mob. if anything he got a possible gift againsttheir boy, lastarza. and there were no punches pulled by either man in the rematch.

by that point, usually the mob guys threw the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            This match up is a perfect demonstration for the difference between a careful understanding of size and weight. Weight is only one aspect of size. Jones may have weighted a certain amount but was not the size of a guy like marciano.

marciano was by contrast, going to get his shots in... Archie Moore found this out and Archie had the power and the cunning to be a tough fight for Marciano. Roy just did not have the physical size, or chin to fight Marciano. He would have to pretty much avoid getting touched by Marciano to win.
            they might be the same height, both 5'10 1/2", but marciano is way bigger than jones, lol jones had to take supplements to bulk up where marciano trained for 8 hours a day to cut weight and build up his endurance. marciano was really a 210 lb man who got down to 187 lbs to fight. jones doesn't really have the power to hurt marciano, where rocky only has to land the right once in a 15 round fight. unless jones squirts something into rocky's eyes during the fight i don't see how he can win, he may even win most of the rounds but he won't win the fight

Comment

Originally posted by phallus View Post
              they might be the same height, both 5'10 1/2", but marciano is way bigger than jones, lol jones had to take supplements to bulk up where marciano trained for 8 hours a day to cut weight and build up his endurance. marciano was really a 210 lb man who got down to 187 lbs to fight. jones doesn't really have the power to hurt marciano, where rocky only has to land the right once in a 15 round fight. unless jones squirts something into rocky's eyes during the fight i don't see how he can win, he may even win most of the rounds but he won't win the fight
              Phallus Is that pick you have Kamela? Lol. Willy's squeeze? Great post.

Comment

According to legend the mob approached Rocky to throw the Don ****rell fight. Rocky threw the guy out of the dressing room then took it out on ****rell.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  According to legend the mob approached Rocky to throw the Don ****rell fight. Rocky threw the guy out of the dressing room then took it out on ****rell.
                  The mob idolized Marciano. Rock could do no wrong...I doubt they would dare ask him to throw anything but punches. This is a guy who had a personal invite to all the big shots and when he was there became the big shot...at least that is what people who knew him told people writing about him. The mob at that time was Italian and would not do certain things: Heroine sales and prostitution were looked down upon...I don't think they would ask an Italian fighter who was the champ to throw fights. Could be though.

https://www.si.com/vault/1993/08/23/...tery-out-of-it

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    The mob idolized Marciano. Rock could do no wrong...I doubt they would dare ask him to throw anything but punches. This is a guy who had a personal invite to all the big shots and when he was there became the big shot...at least that is what people who knew him told people writing about him. The mob at that time was Italian and would not do certain things: Heroine sales and prostitution were looked down upon...I don't think they would ask an Italian fighter who was the champ to throw fights. Could be though.

https://www.si.com/vault/1993/08/23/...tery-out-of-it
                    Thanks for the link. Fascinating..

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                      Thanks for the link. Fascinating..
                      TonyGe:

I read about five pieces on Marciano which are easy to google...But honestly? The piece I linked to you is just so much more comprehensive, exhaustive and objective. It is mentioned in others that he was asked to throw that fight, I just find it hard to believe because of the pride in the mob at that time. It is possible though.

Quite a character huh? lol. I agree with a few posters here that the concept of will and human fraility, vis a vis determination made Marciano one in many generations... Not by any stretch the greatest fighter but what willpower and strength of purpose!

Comment

Working...
                      X