No announcement yet.

do sets REALLY matter!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do sets REALLY matter!?

I freaking hate the set stuff crap I just want to do 1 big long whole set where I go for the kill I hate when I set myself to do 5 sets of 15-20 pull ups but when I go into the 4th my arms are already giving out

also I don't really like putting limits on myself I figure just work the area your working out properly until it hurts like hell do as much as you can and forget that number stuff

segmenting your workout only helps you, if you dont liek it you dont have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amaro View Post
      I freaking hate the set stuff crap I just want to do 1 big long whole set where I go for the kill I hate when I set myself to do 5 sets of 15-20 pull ups but when I go into the 4th my arms are already giving out

also I don't really like putting limits on myself I figure just work the area your working out properly until it hurts like hell do as much as you can and forget that number stuff
      you mean you hate working out for a few minutes? you'd rather get one set for everything instead of numerous?

Comment

i think he means instead of doing 4 x 20, just keep going and do maybe 1 x 50 or basically keep going until exhaustion. it works, im sure i read somewhere that sets are just to help avoid injury, but i know strongmen and such like train to fail and do 1 rep max's and stuff, they all seem pretty fine to me

Comment

doing 5x10 is a lot different than doing 1x50...

Comment

Sets matter bro.. What do you want to improve?.. If you want to improve strength 4-6 sets work.. Muscle endurance 1-2 work... If you want to jump up a weight class (hypertrophy) 2-3 work..

These are just guidelines.. weight training depends on your training age, and what you need and can handle..

What matters most though is can you recover( Training Volume).. So it's better to get a little less sets in.. than to much... over training..

Know what I mean?

Particulary with strength training.. Work up to a heavy set of 3-5 reps with good form then call it a day..

Rob Pilger
            Theultimateboxingworkout.com
            Pilgerstrainingsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Pilger View Post
              Sets matter bro.. What do you want to improve?.. If you want to improve strength 4-6 sets work.. Muscle endurance 1-2 work... If you want to jump up a weight class (hypertrophy) 2-3 work..

These are just guidelines.. weight training depends on your training age, and what you need and can handle..

What matters most though is can you recover( Training Volume).. So it's better to get a little less sets in.. than to much... over training..

Know what I mean?

Particulary with strength training.. Work up to a heavy set of 3-5 reps with good form then call it a day..

Rob Pilger
              wouldnt that be the other way round? more sets for endurance

Comment

I know what your thinking.. But remember.. strength(weight training) is meant to supplement boxing training...

Fighters get plenty of muscle endurance working the bags, mitts, etc...

so really 2-3 circuits of 5-7 compound movements for high reps will do the trick..

or several exercises of lifting for a certain time.. maybe 45 sec. to a min each in a circuit..

That will drain the hell out of you and build up a tolerance of the latic buildup(burn) you get..make you mentally stronger to tolerate it...

Rob Pilger

Comment

if you do 1 x 15...thats great and all but it would be that much more effective if you did 4 x 10 or 3 x 15 etc...

Honestly it sounds more like your being lazy...

Comment

gg @ thread

Comment

Working...
                    X