Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Loving Adrien 'The Problem' Broner Has Its Ups and Downs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Loving Adrien 'The Problem' Broner Has Its Ups and Downs

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Hello, my name is Lyle and I have a confession to make.

I really dig Adrien Broner. And I just can’t seem to stop.

Sure, I already know prolonged exposure to the “The Problem” might not be good for me.

His chatter is a little bit annoying. The hair thing is kinda silly. And the grill is just plain ugly.

But even with all that, I can’t help but dial my local cable provider every time he’s scheduled, because I find myself riveted if the foe is an overmatched Mexican, an outgunned Englishman, or, as was the case this past Saturday night in Brooklyn, a meld of Woody Woodpecker and Hector Camacho.

To me, his all-around game is just that good.

The offense is violently precise. The defense is yawningly efficient. He makes a 12-pound jump from the lightweight elite to the welterweight top shelf look as easy as flossing between meals.

And if a needle-moving personality is what you crave… well, he’s got that thing going, too.

But to be honest, it’s that part of the total package that I wish he’d do some work on.

It’s not that I don’t love the villainous types.

I cheered for the Four Horsemen as a kid wrestling fan because Ric Flair was a genius with the mic. I rooted for the Dallas Cowboys at the height of their ’90s arrogance because Emmitt Smith had a mischievous glint. And I reveled in the black-hatted mastery of Floyd Mayweather Jr. long before he kissed and made up with everyone’s favorite former HBO crank-puss. [Click Here To Read More]

"Outgunned Englishman"

I'm assuming that the "outgunned Englishman" refers to Gavin Rees. When are American writers going to grasp that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are NOT English. Nathan Cleverley, Joe Calzaghe, Gavin Rees are Welsh Not English. Scott Harrison, Ken Buchanan, Jim Watt, Ricky Burns are Scottish not English. Barry McGuigan was Northern Irish not English. Just a few world champions off the top of my head who would be deemed "English" to this scribe. It's been this way for 400 years, why is it such a difficult fact to grasp?

Comment

Originally posted by rlochtie View Post
      I'm assuming that the "outgunned Englishman" refers to Gavin Rees. When are American writers going to grasp that Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland are NOT English. Nathan Cleverley, Joe Calzaghe, Gavin Rees are Welsh Not English. Scott Harrison, Ken Buchanan, Jim Watt, Ricky Burns are Scottish not English. Barry McGuigan was Northern Irish not English. Just a few world champions off the top of my head who would be deemed "English" to this scribe. It's been this way for 400 years, why is it such a difficult fact to grasp?

Don't mind him, he's in love

Comment

Originally posted by rlochtie View Post
        Yes: the Irish, the Scots, the Welsh are Celts, basically.
        Unfortunately, the English are coming from the same Celtic stock (with some minor additions).

Comment

Today I learned Gavin Rees was elite and Paulie Malignaggi was on the welterweight top shelf.

Comment

Mayweather Jr. said: “There’s a lot of things he [Broner] still needs to learn. I thought he should have got the knockout. He was flat-footed. With my career, they try to compare the two, and I love the kid, but you got to look at my career. I had already fought a guy that was crafty at 21 in Genaro Hernandez.”

It looks like that the mentor finally has something to say against his protege...

Comment

loving Broner makes you a twat
              the guy is a stupid asshole, albeit a talented one
              but the way he acts/speaks makes it impossible to like him
              he has a built in fanbase he inherited from Floyd
              aside from that, can't see how anyone likes the guy
              his fights are ok to watch, but Broner is a clown

Comment

I think pallie malinaggi was under rated, and i think he beats mattessye

Comment

Is this lumping guy serious? This might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read that someone seemed to be serious about.

Comment

I think a lot of the media feel the same way as Lyle about Broner. For whatever reason, they like him. I guess he gives them something to write about.

I don't like how the article forces his scorecard on us though. We all saw the fight, we all have our own opinions.
                    Last edited by Weebler I; 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X