Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe that wilfred benitez only trained 2 weeks for his fight with leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe that wilfred benitez only trained 2 weeks for his fight with leonard?

And if so would the outcome have changed if he trained more seriously?

I was under the impresson that it was just something he said after the fight. There was alot of pride involved.

But I believe he was truly prepared and wanted to win.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      Whether he trained two weeks for the fight or not, he just didn't seem as good as he could have been. He didn't seem to have the venom or focus.

With the right frame of mind and/or training I think the fight could have been a 'pickem'.

Comment

He certainly was motivated for Duran what a boxing display he put on.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup

I've never believed that. I think it's more hyperbole than anything else .

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

He was defending his title against a guy who was already a superstar. The fight was on a Friday night on ABC- the big time, baby.

If he only trained two weeks for a fight of that magnitude then he was just a plain ol' a*shole.

Comment

No, not at all. He was talented, but not that talented. No one is. You don't get away with training two weeks against someone as good as Leonard and do as well as he did.

His training habit myths would have come about from his small, unimportant fights which he probably didn't train for because he clearly trained very hard for his big fights.

He was best against Duran but there was bad blood there too, so was seriously up for that and looked the best he ever did, however he also looked great against Hearns, Leonard and Kid Pembele.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
                No, not at all. He was talented, but not that talented. No one is. You don't get away with training two weeks against someone as good as Leonard and do as well as he did.

His training habit myths would have come about from his small, unimportant fights which he probably didn't train for because he clearly trained very hard for his big fights.

He was best against Duran but there was bad blood there too, so was seriously up for that and looked the best he ever did, however he also looked great against Hearns, Leonard and Kid Pembele.

Good post.

Are we to believe he was not as prepared for Ray Leonard as he was Mo Hope? C'mon now...

This kind of thing helps fans of particular fighters deal with their losses better. Fans of Wilfredo Gomez never hesitate to tell you how he didn't train for Salvador Sanchez, too.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                  Good post.

Are we to believe he was not as prepared for Ray Leonard as he was Mo Hope? C'mon now...

This kind of thing helps fans of particular fighters deal with their losses better. Fans of Wilfredo Gomez never hesitate to tell you how he didn't train for Salvador Sanchez, too.
                  Yeah, exactly. Absolute BS. It's clear Benitez was up for all his big fights apart from his much later career.

Just as Gomez was up for Sanchez and Nelson.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

Speaking of Benitez, I noticed he turned 54 today. Kind of young for a guy experiencing the kind of dementia I've heard he has these days. I wish him a happy birthday, none the less though.

Comment

Working...
                    X