Originally posted by !!WAR CANELO!! View Post
      cuerrea is ducking him
      who?????????

Comment

Mares is fragile. Gonzalez ruined him with one punch

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post
          who?????????
          he means cuellar, and not, jesus isn't ducking him. it was mares who wasn't cleared to fight. they were supposed to be in the undercard for porter-thurman but the fight was called off due to a problem with one of mare's eyes

Comment

The Haymon affect

Comment

the guy was in wars even back when he was a bantamweight. long fights, too. had a detached retina early in his career.

these tiny little guys don't age well. and they aren't marketed for a long career. promotors build them quick, match them tough, and cash out.

once they grow out of the weight classes they could make in their youth they start to get hit with punches they can no longer take. in mares' case he ran into jhonny gonzalez, one of the hardest punching featherweights i've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                the guy was in wars even back when he was a bantamweight. long fights, too. had a detached retina early in his career.

these tiny little guys don't age well. and they aren't marketed for a long career. promotors build them quick, match them tough, and cash out.

once they grow out of the weight classes they could make in their youth they start to get hit with punches they can no longer take. in mares' case he ran into jhonny gonzalez, one of the hardest punching featherweights i've ever seen.
                ^^^This exactly^^^ I also want to add that IMO after the PDL fight he shouldve dropped back down to 122 it wouldve provided career longevity. 118 and 122 he was a p4p fighter and maybe now in his career he would be more suited for 126. There was really no need to fight Jhonny Gonzalez, I seriously doubt anyone wouldve cried duck over that. But Gonzalez at the time had like the highest KO average under 6rds @130 or below. And the LSC fight shouldve happened before either guy moved to 126, at 122 (the undefeated) mares wouldve grinded out a victory over LSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                  ^^^This exactly^^^ I also want to add that IMO after the PDL fight he shouldve dropped back down to 122 it wouldve provided career longevity. 118 and 122 he was a p4p fighter and maybe now in his career he would be more suited for 126. There was really no need to fight Jhonny Gonzalez, I seriously doubt anyone wouldve cried duck over that. But Gonzalez at the time had like the highest KO average under 6rds @130 or below. And the LSC fight shouldve happened before either guy moved to 126, at 122 (the undefeated) mares wouldve grinded out a victory over LSC.

just watched the replay, and all the youtube comments are about how mares lost because he didn't throw his best shot, the signature low blow to the ahas. the comment all have like 50 likes

Comment

Still a massive fan of his. Last I read he was attempting to reschedule his fight with Cuellar. If he should win that fight I'm sure it would shoot him back into relevancy. He had an amazingly tough hitlist since the bantamweight tournament a few years back but after he got Bombed on by Jhonny, he pretty much took some easy fights. Then he also had some eye issues recently and was forced to cancel his duel with Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      just watched the replay, and all the youtube comments are about how mares lost because he didn't throw his best shot, the signature low blow to the ahas. the comment all have like 50 likes
                      hahaha! Man, Im no fan of dirty tactics ESPECIALLY below the belt line BUT one thing I have to say about Mares was he gritty. Nacho and Gonzalez knew that going in and knew there best chances were under 4 and lucked out. Hopefully Mares invested well because sadly his days at the top are behind him and boxing is full of guys that fight past their hayday just to make a buck while medically un-fit to fight...

Comment

Working...
                      X