No announcement yet.

just got asked if i'd consider working in mexico

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just got asked if i'd consider working in mexico

6am here & an ex-coworker of mine called me up & said they need 4 guys to go to some plant near mexico city & work a 55 day shutdown on some sort of furnace. i guess they usually get guys from windsor ontario but my ex coworker got the boss' son into our ironworker union so he is going to take a few from edmonton because his son works here. i don't know him but i hope i get to go. i will get paid the same as i do here but with living allowance even though i am staying in a work camp. working 12 hour days so it won't be a party. it will be huge money though. it don't start til sept 1 2013 so nothing is written in stone but it was a good phone call to get. i would stay in mexico for a few weeks after. i hope to hear more & i'm not getting all excited because in my line of work nothing is guarenteed. the good thing is it's january & they are already looking at manpower....

Comment

Originally posted by BOLLOCKS View Post
      I'd love to go work there. I'd be working with Mexicans too. They have to hire locals. I only work outside my home province twice in 17 years. Had a chance to go work in Africa last year but the company from England didn't pay enough for me to be in the middle of Ethiopia. Regardless it was a good phone call to get. It would be a neat experience & the money would be there so why not?

Comment

Really? I haven't seen any company here hire workers from the US because this means paying a TON more money. Also bosses here in Mexico sometimes get away with not paying overtime and that can't be allowed with US companies. You must be really needed. If it's close to Mexico city as in driving distance it should be cool, now if you go to the industrial area in the state of Mexico expect boredom when you're not working.
        Hopefully you get the call.

Oh you're from canada is it a mining company or something?

Comment

Originally posted by -Johannes- View Post
          Really? I haven't seen any company here hire workers from the US because this means paying a TON more money. Also bosses here in Mexico sometimes get away with not paying overtime and that can't be allowed with US companies. You must be really needed. If it's close to Mexico city as in driving distance it should be cool, now if you go to the industrial area in the state of Mexico expect boredom when you're not working.
          Hopefully you get the call.

Oh you're from canada is it a mining company or something?
          I'm not sure if its American or Canadian company. Canadian I think & they go around the world & specialize in this certain furnace in refineries. I'm not totally clear on details. Only got asked this morning on my way to work. The company brings their own men & just probably have to hire locals to get the contract...

Comment

I been all over Mexico... I'd be in camp snyway

Comment

Take it! Mexico is a good place to be on September 16th!

Comment

Hope you get it, good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by EDD1 View Post
                  I was there once for that day, in Guadalajara. Was pretty good times. National festivals and stuff like that are always a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by EDD1 View Post
                    Independence Day! Was there a few years ago in Mexico City & the 21st would be cool to be at chichen itza

Comment

Working...
                    X