Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis vs Roy Jones: who ranks higher on the ATG list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jones has to be rated higher...he was a class above for so many years..

Comment

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
      Benn wanted to fight Jones after McClellan back in 95
      I'm not so sure Benn wanted to fight anyone after McClellan..

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        I'm not so sure Benn wanted to fight anyone after McClellan..
        Yeah he wanted to fight Jones, called him out after the McClellan fight and called him out after the Nardiello fight, seen here:

Jones said that he couldn't take the fight, because King wanted options on his fights afterwards. Want me to find the link?

Comment

Yeah he wanted to fight Jones, called him out after the McClellan fight and called him out after the Nardiello fight, seen here:

Jones said that he couldn't take the fight, because King wanted options on his fights afterwards. Want me to find the link?
          Cheers, I was under the impression he fought Nardiello just b4 McClellan, but it was the fight after instead..
          No need to send the other link, as I've always stated that Jones ducked him, just had the dates wrong..

Comment

Cheers, I was under the impression he fought Nardiello just b4 McClellan, but it was the fight after instead..
            No need to send the other link, as I've always stated that Jones ducked him, just had the dates wrong..
            It would be nice to find out what really happened someday
            Last edited by General Zod; 03-29-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

It would be nice to find out what really happened someday
              Well I might be wrong, but I did hear a rumour that the winner of Eubank-Benn II was to have his next 3 fights under the ill-fated Warren-King partnership.. Oddly enough, the fight ended in a controversial draw and the liason between King and Warren soon fell apart with King claiming around 6 million quid in damages.. Can you add anything to this, or is it as I said, 'Only a rumour?'
              Although it's pretty obvious Jones avoided punchers, I don't think Benn with his free-swinging style would have worried him.. I can't help but think, Don King would have had the final say on it.. I also firmly believe that it was more than just a fighter-promoter relationship between Jones and King, it was more like they were drinking buddies..
              I always got the impression that the Don took extra special care of him..

Comment

Well I might be wrong, but I did hear a rumour that the winner of Eubank-Benn II was to have his next 3 fights under the ill-fated Warren-King partnership. Oddly enough, the fight ended in a controversial draw and the liason between King and Warren soon fell apart with King claiming around 6 million quid in damages.. Can you add anything to this, or is it as I said, 'Only a rumour?'
                Yes the fight did end in a controversial draw and Barry Hearn saw the loophole which allowed him and Eubank to pull out of it. Warren and Benn willingly entered into it. The three fight deal lasted from the Wharton fight and ended with the McClellan fight. After recuperating from the McClellan fight, Benn would sign another 3 fight deal with King, which started with the Nardiello fight and ended with the Malinga fight. After that the rest of his fights were just with Warren. I dont know anything about the Warren King deal falling apart, although he would work with King later on, Bruno McCall comes to mind. Benn said in a book called War, Baby that King looked after him and he hasnt got a bad word to say about him
                Although it's pretty obvious Jones avoided punchers, I don't think Benn with his free-swinging style would have worried him.. I can't help but think, Don King would have had the final say on it.. I also firmly believe that it was more than just a fighter-promoter relationship between Jones and King, it was more like they were drinking buddies..
                I always got the impression that the Don took extra special care of him.
                Jones and King were never firends, especially after King tried to rob him of 100K with the Showtime offer. King didn't like the fact that he always had to go through Levin, he tried to play the Jew card with Jones (and later Toney) , but he got nowhere with it. Jones mainly worked with Arum, later on Murad Muhammad and wouldn't work with King until the Ruiz fight.

I think Benn had at best a punchers chance of beating Jones, especially after the McClellan fight.As for the punchers comment, the facts speak for themselves.

Comment

Yes the fight did end in a controversial draw and Barry Hearn saw the loophole which allowed him and Eubank to pull out of it. Warren and Benn willingly entered into it. The three fight deal lasted from the Wharton fight and ended with the McClellan fight. After recuperating from the McClellan fight, Benn would sign another 3 fight deal with King, which started with the Nardiello fight and ended with the Malinga fight. After that the rest of his fights were just with Warren. I dont know anything about the Warren King deal falling apart, although he would work with King later on, Bruno McCall comes to mind. Benn said in a book called War, Baby that King looked after him and he hasnt got a bad word to say about him

Jones and King were never firends, especially after King tried to rob him of 100K with the Showtime offer. King didn't like the fact that he always had to go through Levin, he tried to play the Jew card with Jones (and later Toney) , but he got nowhere with it. Jones mainly worked with Arum, later on Murad Muhammad and wouldn't work with King until the Ruiz fight.

I think Benn had at best a punchers chance of beating Jones, especially after the McClellan fight.As for the punchers comment, the facts speak for themselves.
                  Quote; Hellboy: Jones and King were never firends, especially after King tried to rob him of 100K with the Showtime offer. King didn't like the fact that he always had to go through Levin, he tried to play the Jew card with Jones (and later Toney) , but he got nowhere with it. Jones mainly worked with Arum, later on Murad Muhammad and wouldn't work with King until the Ruiz fight.

I bet that Jones got more money for fighting Ruiz than he did for any of his fights with Arum.. More than enough money for $100,000 to bear into insignificance anyway.. But yes, that doesn't mean to say they were friends.. One of King's main qualities, is to give over that impression..

Yep, I'd give Benn a punchers chance if he jumped on him the way he did Barkley.. But if he tried to box with Jones, I'm afraid the longer the fight went on, the more he would be schooled..

Comment

I bet that Jones got more money for fighting Ruiz than he did for any of his fights with Arum.. More than enough money for $100,000 to bear into insignificance anyway.. But yes, that doesn't mean to say they were friends.. One of King's main qualities, is to give over that impression..

Yep, I'd give Benn a punchers chance if he jumped on him the way he did Barkley.. But if he tried to box with Jones, I'm afraid the longer the fight went on, the more he would be schooled..
                    Jones got a guarenteed 10M up front and a slice of the ppv buys for the Ruiz fight, which is why he never bothered to take part in the promotions for the fight. You cant really compare it with Arum because of the historical significance of it i.e a MW fighting at HW. Before the Ruiz fight I think Jones best payday was for his fight with Toney, which did 300K ppvs. I think Jones got about 2.5m for that fight, which was promoted by Arum.

Comment

Working...
                    X