No announcement yet.

mathew franklin(saad muhhamad) best performance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mathew franklin(saad muhhamad) best performance

he has had so many exciting fights. What are your favorites?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    he has had so many exciting fights. What are your favorites?
    The Galindez and Lopez fights were classics, but my favorites were the two with Marvin Johnson, who was also one of my favorites from that era.

Comment

The Marvin johnson fights, and the name escapes me at the moment but the fight he had in 1980 that was FOTY! Another great light heavy fighter,, can't recall the name

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        The Marvin johnson fights, and the name escapes me at the moment but the fight he had in 1980 that was FOTY! Another great light heavy fighter,, can't recall the name
        Yanqui Lopez...

Scott already mentioned it,, that was a great fight and a true underrated gem

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          The Galindez and Lopez fights were classics, but my favorites were the two with Marvin Johnson, who was also one of my favorites from that era.
          Copy that, growing up as a kid the light heavys were my favorite weight class and "Miracle Mathew" was and still is one of my favorite fighters.

And one of the first fighters that I can remember with designer boxing shorts (oh la la Sasson)

May he rest in peace

Comment

Before watching a Saad Muhammad bout, you always wondered: will he finally be burnt out now, because of that latest war in the ring? (His fights usually were.)

Prime Matthew in the ring was a “must-watch” at the time. But as much as we, his fans, remember his battles with delight, his own memories of those fighting days weren’t that sweet.
            Earlier here, I posted a 2011 interview by Philadelphia Magazine with a then 57-year-old Matthew, who said: “No good, boxing. Why would anyone let himself get hit in the head?”

After his hard-earned wins caught up with him – being stopped in 10 by Dwight Qawi at Christmas time 1981 – he rapidly sank into oblivion, fighting journeymen, struggling to survive another day, and getting little or none attention from the boxing world that once saluted him.

Our sport is exceptional harsh on its fallen heroes – once a fighter is washed-up, promoters, trainers and we followers redirect our focus to the new, up-and-coming stars.

At least, Matthew left a footprint. He is still talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
              Before watching a Saad Muhammad bout, you always wondered: will he finally be burnt out now, because of that latest war in the ring? (His fights usually were.)

Prime Matthew in the ring was a “must-watch” at the time. But as much as we, his fans, remember his battles with delight, his own memories of those fighting days weren’t that sweet.
              Earlier here, I posted a 2011 interview by Philadelphia Magazine with a then 57-year-old Matthew, who said: “No good, boxing. Why would anyone let himself get hit in the head?”

After his hard-earned wins caught up with him – being stopped in 10 by Dwight Qawi at Christmas time 1981 – he rapidly sank into oblivion, fighting journeymen, struggling to survive another day, and getting little or none attention from the boxing world that once saluted him.

Our sport is exceptional harsh on its fallen heroes – once a fighter is washed-up, promoters, trainers and we followers redirect our focus to the new, up-and-coming stars.

At least, Matthew left a footprint. He is still talked about.

That is such a shame. If he were fighting now he would be the darling of HBO and Showtime and would likely retire from boxing a millionaire.

Comment

Marvin Johnson 2.

Comment

Video blocked! What else is new?

Comment

Great thread to ressurect. I think the Galindez fight sticks out best in my head.

As I have said in other threads, Michael Spinks did not face the best Saad Muhammad or Dwight Qawi at Light Heavyweight. Still impressive wins. Michael is still clearly better than them. But Spinks really lucked out not have to share the ring with those men at their best.

Comment

Working...
                    X