No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Martinez-Golovkin, Ward-Pavlik, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
    Sergio has just come off a 500,000 PPV fight which he dominated.

Sure it was against a big name fighter, but these fights would be against even bigger names and would do bigger numbers. Anybody fighting Sergio would make major money. Sergio is also becoming a big name, not just in boxing circles.

GGG on the other hand, is completely unknown and has never had a fight worth talking about let alone a major one. GGG and Sergio are nowhere near one another interms of marketability, achievement, ability....
    Yes but Sergio also rode on the popularity of a bigger star. He needed that right? He still needs it and that is why he is chasing after bigger names to get decent paydays. He was in the same position that GGG is in now. If nobody will fight him, how will he ever get a chance to climb the ladder? GGG at least has some HBO exposure now and impressed many. He needs to continue to get big fights. How is he supposed to do it if people will not fight him?

Comment

• Originally posted by deanrw View Post
      Yes but Sergio also rode on the popularity of a bigger star. He needed that right? He still needs it and that is why he is chasing after bigger names to get decent paydays. He was in the same position that GGG is in now. If nobody will fight him, how will he ever get a chance to climb the ladder? GGG at least has some HBO exposure now and impressed many. He needs to continue to get big fights. How is he supposed to do it if people will not fight him?
      You have to beat people to get the big fights.

Sergio didn't get his big payday until a few weeks ago, to get there he had to beat Williams, Pavlik, Dzinziruk, Macklin....he jumped around divisions and beat those names, who were all highly ranked in their division and Williams a P4P star.

GGG has beat Proska. How about stepping up levels like Sergio did to get the big money? Angulo, Kirkland, Martirosyan, Lara....how about beating some guys first, the way Sergio did?

Comment

Sergio didn't get his big payday until a few weeks ago, to get there he had to beat Williams, Pavlik, Dzinziruk, Macklin....he jumped around divisions and beat those names, who were all highly ranked in their division and Williams a P4P star.

GGG has beat Proska. How about stepping up levels like Sergio did to get the big money? Angulo, Kirkland, Martirosyan, Lara....how about beating some guys first, the way Sergio did?
        But who is Chavez Jr to Cotto or Floyd? Just because he was the B-side to a 500k PPV doesnt mean hes some big star now. He cant headline a PPV.

Comment

• Ward-Pavlik huh.

I dont care if the odds are 20-1... take your life savings and bet on Ward.

Guaranteed money.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
            Ward-Pavlik huh.

I dont care if the odds are 20-1... take your life savings and bet on Ward.

Guaranteed money.
            yeah pavlik hasn't got a prayer in that one

Comment

• Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
              But who is Chavez Jr to Cotto or Floyd? Just because he was the B-side to a 500k PPV doesnt mean hes some big star now. He cant headline a PPV.
              Cotto-Mayorga did between 250-300k and Cotto-Margarito II did 600k.

Miguel is a huge star, but Martinez just done 500k...not too bad, is it? Against a bigger star the numbers will be even bigger. Time will tell if he can headline a PPV, I'd buy a PPV fight with Sergio in it and I believe many others would too.

Comment

• Golovkin needs to go and fight somebody. Proksa ain't going to cut it for a shot at Martinez. I'm not much of a DiBella fan, but I have to agree with him here.

Comment

Cotto-Mayorga did between 250-300k and Cotto-Margarito II did 600k.

Miguel is a huge star, but Martinez just done 500k...not too bad, is it? Against a bigger star the numbers will be even bigger. Time will tell if he can headline a PPV, I'd buy a PPV fight with Sergio in it and I believe many others would too.
                  Man, you keep repeating that 500k. Is Clottey a bigger star for doing 700k? But not as big a star as JMM, for doing 1.3m or whatever?

Comment

Beating people is necessary (mostly, see Canelo), but not sufficient to get those big fights.

GG has a bad resume, and no mandate at SM at all. Not that different than Dz and Barker, except unlike them he's top 10 at mw. But his chance of fighting those LMW you listed is probably worse than SM landing a big money fight. Heck, he can barely find a MW to challenge for his belt on HBO main event.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                      Man, you keep repeating that 500k. Is Clottey a bigger star for doing 700k? But not as big a star as JMM, for doing 1.3m or whatever?
                      Of course it's being repeated, people are trying to suggest Martinez can't do numbers as a way to play down a potential fight.

Sergio did that without Pacquiao and Mayweather, what have JMM and Clottey done without those two? A guy that does 500k without either of the two cash-cows (three if you include Cotto) is going to be part of an event that does major numbers if he fights one of them.

I just can't understand why people would try and play down a proper mega-fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X