No announcement yet.

Why I think Star Wars: The Force Awakens is WAY OVERRATED

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I think Star Wars: The Force Awakens is WAY OVERRATED

Mind you, I liked it in general, thought it was pretty good. I'd rank it WAY AHEAD of Episodes 1 and 2, and slightly ahead of Episode 3. But I would rank it soundly behind Episode 6, and WAY BEHIND Episodes 4 and 5. I mean, it's like we were upset with what we got in 1-3, so we'll take anything better than those lol

There are things I really dug about the film......

-Kylo Rens introduction, they showcased his force skills very well, as well as the conflicted nature of the character who struggles between the light and dark in him. They built him up as a very strong force user, and showcased that well.

-The overall feel of the film, and the effects. The effects were used smart here, much better than the CGI fest from 1-3, and the overall tone and feel of the film was more along the lines of what Star Wars should feel like, as opposed to 1-3. More humor, even a little overboard at times IMO, but Star Wars always had quirky little humor in it originally.

-The action sequences were great, but that's to be expected.

-Han Solo. He really carried much of the film, and it felt exactly like we were seeing a 30 years older Han Solo, who had gone through some **** with his ex wife and son. He still had the funny Solo banter, but you could tell he was a damaged dude with the relationships in his life

-Some new characters. BB8 was fun, Poe seems like a cool dude, Finn was even alright. But Rey is the key to the new movies working, and that remains to be seen what she will be.

-Some directions of the plot. Kylo being Hans son was cool, Luke off finding the old Jedi temple, Kylo and Snoke having wrecked Luke's new Jedi school, and what not.

But there are a lot of things that I still had issues with. And I must remind you, I generally enjoyed the film. But you simply cannot look past it's obvious flaws that the fan boys seem to be overlooking.....some big and some minor

-IT'S ESSENTIALLY EPISODE 4 WITH NEW CHARACTERS. The story follows Episode 4 so closely it's downright insulting lol Older dude guiding the young leads throughout the movie, who gets killed by the bad guy he has a personal history with......on a giant killer space station, which of course has a fatal flaw. Not to mention Genereal Hux is a weaker Grand Moff Tarkin too. Rey is the new force person who is found on a desert planet, who comes into contact with a cool little droid and saves the day using the force. Not to mention Ren sensing and even stopping to show us he sensed Hans presence on Starkiller, is basically like Vader pausing ang stopping to show us he sensed Obi Wan on the Death Star. Or Poe handing the map to Luke off to BB8, which was central part of the story, is basically Leia handing the Death Star plans off to R2 in Episode 4. And lets not even talk about Starkiller blowing the new Republic to hell to showcase it's power.....sound a little bit like Death Star blowing up Alderaan to show it's power??? They even had a brief trench run during the final battle on Starkiller. I mean....it's all just too much lol Like it's almost beat for beat the same damn thing lol

-Rey is a decent lead, but just....too...damn....perfect. It took Luke 3 years between 4 and 5 to learn how to pick up a lightsaber using the force, another year after that to master mind tricking people, and some traning from Yoda and Obi Wan to even remotely learn how to handle himself in a lightsaber duel. Yet Rey mind tricks dudes, force reads Kylo Rens mind, and beats his ass in a lightsaber duel all within just learning about the force in a day lol And Kylo was built up early on in the film as a guy who's been training in the force for years upon years upon years and showed great skills....but Rey is a perfect Mary Sue and beats him instantly after learning about the force lol Not to mention she learns how to pilot toe falcon like a god damn pro instantly, and even manages to fix problems with it after flying it all of one time, nevermind that Han Solo has been flying it for 50 years or something, and couldn't figure it out. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. I get Luke "used the force" to shoot the shots into the death star to blow it up and showcased force ability instantly, but not to the same extent as Rey, and he had Obi Wan helping him out....who the hell did Rey have teaching her???

-Kylo Rens meltdown after being built up so well. It's like he's showcased stopping a blaster shot mid air, obviously he's super strong with the force and shows great skills early on. And then he completely folds late and nearly gets beaten by an ex rookie storm trooper garbage man, and gets his ass kicked by a young chick who just learned about the force a day ago lol Even if he was wounded and not a master yet, he should still be LEAPS AND BOUNDS ahead of a garbage man and rookie force user. And it's not just his skills meltdown, but the way the character sucked once his mask came off. We already got a conflicted but powerful dude early on with the mask on. Then the mask came off and he acted like emo petulant little child, and threw 3.....yes 3 not 1 or 2...but 3!!! temper tantrums lol He didn't force choke dudes like Vader did, he got mad and broke stuff lol But I nearly wanted to laugh when he took the mask off. They should have saved that reveal of his face for his confrontation with Han Solo.

-It feels too much like nothing was resolved. I get you have to set up the next one and leave things somewhat open. But you could watch Episodes 4, 5, and 6 and feel like with each one you are watching a full story within a bigger arc as well. Nothing that we care about was resolved one bit in this movie. Who Snoke is or why/how Kylo turned on Luke, who Rey is or her family, etc. It just feels like we are essentially watching a movie with the sole intention on setting up the next one lol That's all fine and well setting up the next one, but the originals did that all with having it's own story feel important. This one felt all too much like we're watching half a story essentially.

That's it, that's my rant. Anyone else agree with me that's it a fine solid Star Wars movie, but far from great or even close to the originals.
    GREAT, better than A New Hope and as great as Empire Strikes Back
    3.57%
    REAL GOOD, as good as Return of the Jedi, if not better
    10.71%
    SOLID BUT OVERRATED, not as good as originals but better than prequels
    32.14%
    AVERAGE OR MEDIOCRE, not even better than Revenge of the Sith
    28.57%
    SUCKED, as bad if not worse than Attack of the Clones
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 4Corners; 04-17-2016, 09:37 AM.

I heard good things, but honestly it was disappointing.

I think the story was good, and I like Rey. The director sucks though. There was no chemistry with any of the characters, and outside of Rey and the old guard, I wasn't a fan of the casting. Well Kylo Ren has potential, but his costume is a joke and thanks to the inept director, he has no aura. Also, what the hell was with the torture scene, was that supposed to be serious?

Comment

I got some of the same issues you do in particular the garbage man & 1 day force experience chick giving Kylo hell which didn't really ring true. I mean ok even if Rey was some prodigy at 5yrs old (as I suspect is the story) who just realized she is a prodigy midfight fair enough, but the garbage man with PTSD woulda been Darth Maul'd in 12 seconds max to a guy on the level of Kylo. I mean has any non-Jedi/Sith every been shown to have even that level of competitive fight with a Jedi/Sith in the Star Wars universe (legit question idk & am kinda curious)?

The fact that Star Wars is damn near on some movie religion/biblical type level with its plots makes this problematic for them. I'm not all into that these days per se so I just found the film a solid film sequel that I'd consider above average in the overall sequels spectrum. And I'm still greatly anticipating the next 5 films (3 side projects, although the next one looks like garbage & 2 in this direct storyline) that are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
        I heard good things, but honestly it was disappointing.

I think the story was good, and I like Rey. The director sucks though. There was no chemistry with any of the characters, and outside of Rey and the old guard, I wasn't a fan of the casting. Well Kylo Ren has potential, but his costume is a joke and thanks to the inept director, he has no aura. Also, what the hell was with the torture scene, was that supposed to be serious?
        Yeah I didn't get any chemistry with Rey and Finn, if that's the love story going forward, it seems almost but not quite as ridiculous as the lack of chemistry with Anakin and Padme. But then again, Star Wars has always seemed to suck with love chemistry besides Han and Leia.

Kylo was so dope with the mask on and thought they displayed his conflict well. And I get one temper tantrum at first, but three??? Then he takes the mask off and I wanted to laugh. Besides the climatic scene with Han, he was worthless with his mask off and came off absurd IMO.

Yeah if they wanted to have Rey showcase he force ability against Kylo in that scene.....don't have her then read his mind and spit some corny lines like "You're afffraid.....afffraid you'll never be as powerful as Darth Vaderrr" lol CORN

Just have her block his mind read, so he knows she's somewhat gifted with the force.
        Last edited by 4Corners; 04-17-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Yes, it sucked, but it will still make billions and billions of $$$ and even more with new prequels, sequels, whatever.

Dumbest part of movie to me was scene where Rey suddenly can control minds. It takes Luke Skywalker months/years working with that dumb frog to learn the same thing, yet POW she's making slaves out of drones.

Speaking of drones, all this time I thought they were mindless robots getting killed by the Allies, now we know they are human? They STILL CAN'T SHOOT STRAIGHT AND THEIR ARMOUR ISN'T WORTH ****.

The kid playing Finn was pretty good, I though, but why did they make him speak with an American accent? most of the other characters spoke with a Brit accent, why bother changing his accent?

Comment

Those are some strange poll options...

Thought it was OKAY.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              Yeah I didn't get any chemistry with Rey and Finn, if that's the love story going forward, it seems almost but not quite as ridiculous as the lack of chemistry with Anakin and Padme. But then again, Star Wars has always seemed to suck with love chemistry besides Han and Leia.

Kylo was so dope with the mask on and thought they displayed his conflict well. And I get one temper tantrum at first, but three??? Then he takes the mask off and I wanted to laugh. Besides the climatic scene with Han, he was worthless with his mask off and came off absurd IMO.

Yeah if they wanted to have Rey showcase he force ability against Kylo in that scene.....don't have her then read his mind and spit some corny lines like "You're afffraid.....afffraid you'll never be as powerful as Darth Vaderrr" lol CORN

Just have her block his mind read, so he knows she's somewhat gifted with the force.
              Yeah the chemistry has always been bad outside of Han and Leia, although even that seemed ridiculous in this movie. Yeah, lot's of mistakes in what could have genuinely been a good sequel to the originals. I really want to chalk it up to JJ Abrams being a piece of ****.

Comment

It was fanservice....there's nothing more artistically dishonest than fanservice....It has it's bright spots, but it's terrible considering the whole exploit of nostalgia for A New Hope.

I will say that episode VI is as bad as this.....it's just a dishonest commercial exploit......the eewok's for f's sake...

I could've respected the prequels, even if they're terrible movies.....Lucas wanted to tell something, just doesn't have the knowledge or the writing/directing skills to tell it proper and then pussed out of Darth Jar Jar. The exclusion of Darth Jar Jar basically made episodes I and II pointless. Episode III was entertaining but we all knew what was gonna happen and why...

Star Wars really just lives off of a New Hope.....it's the right amount of entertaining+visually stunning+characters you care for......Episode V expanded on it the right way and made it deeper....the others just collapsed on the weight of the franchise...

Comment

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  It was fanservice....there's nothing more artistically dishonest than fanservice....It has it's bright spots, but it's terrible considering the whole exploit of nostalgia for A New Hope.

I will say that episode VI is as bad as this.....it's just a dishonest commercial exploit......the eewok's for f's sake...

I could've respected the prequels, even if they're terrible movies.....Lucas wanted to tell something, just doesn't have the knowledge or the writing/directing skills to tell it proper and then pussed out of Darth Jar Jar. The exclusion of Darth Jar Jar basically made episodes I and II pointless. Episode III was entertaining but we all knew what was gonna happen and why...

Star Wars really just lives off of a New Hope.....it's the right amount of entertaining+visually stunning+characters you care for......Episode V expanded on it the right way and made it deeper....the others just collapsed on the weight of the franchise...
                  See I thought Episode 6 was good aside from the Ewoks and the way Boba Fett died. Like they had a gem of a character with Boba Fett and he goes out like that??? And then the Ewoks are able to defeat the Empire's ELITE troops??? For gods sake lol But the rest of the movie was good I thought. I really thought the whole scene with Luke and Vader with the Emperor was great.

The prequels had a lot of wasted potential. In short, they should've had Darth Maul be the central villain and have Obi Wan trying to overcome the guilt of Qui Gon dying and ****. And they should've given Maul a cool backstory like say he was Qui Gon's old apprentice or something, that would've given their duel lots of emotional weight. Would've given Obi Wan some conflict and struggle to overcome in 2. And Maul could've had Dooku's backstory basically but tweaked a bit, with a way cooler character.

Comment

I'm not reading that, but it was a contrived piece of shit.

Comment

Working...
                    X