No announcement yet.

Margarito: "I have no score to settle with Williams" -- new interview

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margarito: "I have no score to settle with Williams" -- new interview

Antonio Margarito on Mosley, Cotto, and Paul Williams!
    By Ace Freeman (10-Dec-2008)

In this exclusive interview, welterweight kingpin Antonio Margarito opened up about his 2008 destruction of Miguel Cotto, his thoughts on a Paul Williams rematch, and his upcoming fight with Shane Mosley! Don't miss this one, only on FightFan.com!

FF: Antonio tell us your thoughts on the welterweight division right now. You are regarded as the no. 1 welterweight, which is boxing’s hottest division. Then there’s Paul Williams and Joshua Clottey. How exciting is it for you to be a part of such an important time in welterweight history?

AM: That specifically doesn’t excite me at all. It’s the fights themselves that excite me. The Cintron fight was exciting. The Cotto fight was exciting. Now I’m looking forward to and excited about the Mosley fight. The fans excite me! I love stepping into the ring and feeling the energy of the fans. These are the type of fights that take the sport to another level. These are the type of fights the fans deserve, and that is what excites me about boxing.

FF: Hello Antonio, thank you for taking the time to speak with the FightFans at FightFan.com. First of all congratulations on your historic win over Miguel Cotto, which captured you the welterweight crown as far as most are concerned. Now that some time has passed can you give us your thoughts on how you’d rate the success of executing your game plan for the fight?

AM: Just like Cotto, we had a plan “A”, “B”, and “C”. Plan “A” was to pressure. Plan “B” was to pressure more and plan “C” was to pressure even more! I did exactly what I always do. I told everyone what my plan was. I gave it away from the beginning. The only difference is that I pushed on the gas more.

FF: Cotto boxed well early on and many people expected him to win the fight by doing that the whole time but something changed half way through the fight. What was it?

AM: The fight played out exactly the way my team and I expected it. Cotto would come out moving, tapping, and running. The only thing we didn’t know was how long it would take for him to start showing signs that he was being overwhelmed by my constant pressure. People say the momentum changed half way through the fight but I had felt it since the second round. I landed some solid shots to the body as well to the head that had him cut, bleeding, and breathing heavily. Yes he landed some shots but Cotto was fighting in survival mode. Cotto fought a terrific fight. He would have easily beaten any other fighter that night. I give him my respect, he fought like a true warrior.

FF: At what point did you begin to feel a stoppage was within your grasp?

AM: I didn’t. Cotto was taking some heavy shots. He was bleeding really bad, but I knew this guy would not quit. I just kept telling myself to keep going and keep throwing. I never thought of a knock out. When he went down, I thought to myself, “go get him!”.

FF: Before running in to you, Miguel Cotto’s strength broke down everyone he faced. Can you give us your thoughts on how strong you felt in comparison to Cotto?

AM: Cotto never hurt me but I could see I was hurting him.

FF: Miguel Cotto and Kermit Cintron were both regarded as very BIG and strong welterweights. Why does it seem that you can’t be hurt?

AM: I’m not going to say I can’t be hurt but I will say that I haven’t been hurt. This is all due to the dedication and respect I have for the sport. I live a clean life outside of the gym. I don’t have any bad habits. I live a simple and humble life. I’m no where close to being in the fast lane, I don’t drink, smoke, or over indulge in anything. When I’m in training, I give 100% of myself to my training.

FF: You will defend your title Jan. 24 against Shane Mosley. That is a great fight to kick off 2009. Can you give us your thoughts on facing Mosley?

AM: Shane is a good fighter. I don’t take any fighter for granted. I don’t try to convince myself that Shane is at the end of his career. I don’t care if he is old or young, quick or slow, strong or weak. I train hard for every fight.

FF: I know that who you fight is ultimately decided by your promoter, but there has been a lot of talk about you and Paul Williams. He defeated you in a very close and competitive fight in your first encounter. Can you tell us, if the circumstances and timing work out, if getting him in the ring for a rematch and settling the score is something you’d personally like to do in the near future?

AM: I don’t have any score to settle. I’m not looking for revenge. I’m looking to fight. I keep reading that I am avoiding Paul. I don’t avoid anyone. Paul and his promoter know. I do have a promoter, and my promoter has a plan for me. I can’t go against my promoter and sign a for a fight that I have no authority to sign for. I did it already and it all turned out to be an experience I’m looking to go through again.

FF: Antonio, tell us your thoughts on the welterweight division right now. You are regarded as the no. 1 welterweight which is boxing’s hottest division. Then there’s Paul Williams and Joshua Clottey. How exciting is it for you to be a part of such an important time in welterweight history?

AM: That specifically doesn’t excite me at all. It’s the fights themselves that excite me. The Cintron fight was exciting. The Cotto fight was exciting. Now I’m looking forward and excited about the Mosley fight. The fans excite me! I love stepping into the ring and feeling the energy of the fans. These are the type of fights that take the sport to another level. These are the type of fights the fans deserve, and that is what excites me about boxing.

FF: Thank you Antonio. All the best of luck and health to you in your training over the holiday season

AM: Thank you.

seems like for whatever reason, Margarito doesn't see the need for or seem interested in a Paul Williams rematch.

"I don’t have any score to settle. I’m not looking for revenge. I’m looking to fight. I keep reading that I am avoiding Paul. I don’t avoid anyone. Paul and his promoter know. I do have a promoter, and my promoter has a plan for me. I can’t go against my promoter and sign a for a fight that I have no authority to sign for. I did it already and it all turned out to be an experience I’m looking to go through again."

Maybe he doesn't think it is an exciting fight?

"That specifically doesn’t excite me at all. It’s the fights themselves that excite me. The Cintron fight was exciting. The Cotto fight was exciting. Now I’m looking forward and excited about the Mosley fight. The fans excite me! I love stepping into the ring and feeling the energy of the fans. These are the type of fights that take the sport to another level. These are the type of fights the fans deserve, and that is what excites me about boxing."

Comment

Remember, Margo thought he won the Williams fight. So I'm guessing in his own mind he doesn't want to take a chance at being screwed again on the scorecards when he has so many other big opions on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. View Post
        Remember, Margo thought he won the Williams fight. So I'm guessing in his own mind he doesn't want to take a chance at being screwed again on the scorecards when he has so many other big opions on the table.
        No I heard that weeks after the fight he agreed that he lost the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by superchamp View Post
          seems like for whatever reason, Margarito doesn't see the need for or seem interested in a Paul Williams rematch.

"I don’t have any score to settle. I’m not looking for revenge. I’m looking to fight. I keep reading that I am avoiding Paul. I don’t avoid anyone. Paul and his promoter know. I do have a promoter, and my promoter has a plan for me. I can’t go against my promoter and sign a for a fight that I have no authority to sign for. I did it already and it all turned out to be an experience I’m looking to go through again."

Maybe he doesn't think it is an exciting fight?

"That specifically doesn’t excite me at all. It’s the fights themselves that excite me. The Cintron fight was exciting. The Cotto fight was exciting. Now I’m looking forward and excited about the Mosley fight. The fans excite me! I love stepping into the ring and feeling the energy of the fans. These are the type of fights that take the sport to another level. These are the type of fights the fans deserve, and that is what excites me about boxing."
          money marg doesn't want to avenge his loss... is this guy mexican???

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
            money marg doesn't want to avenge his loss... is this guy mexican???
            pull...are we gonna make that margos official nickname..money marg..lol

Comment

Originally posted by larryx View Post
              pull...are we gonna make that margos official nickname..money marg..lol

"...if it dont make pesos..." nah...

Comment

he has so many losses they don't bother him anymore, no need to avenge any of them. he's almost judah status in the L column

Comment

then why u want to fight with oscar? what gives u the fuucking right? u ain't even fought many top fighters. only cotto. who else? ur still a nobody biatch. next year no one will remember u.

Comment

I smell pusssssssssssssssssssssssssy

Comment

Working...
                    X