No announcement yet.

When a fighter gets famous, he's usually already past prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a fighter gets famous, he's usually already past prime

Recent examples are Chocolatito and Kovalev who were probably better fighters before they got the hype but I think by the time guys get famous they are usually on the down slope.

Even Floyd Mayweather. He was fantastic at 35 but hurt hands and age he was a craftier fighter but not necessarily a better one at the higher weights. So many examples, Mosley, guys like Donald Curry, Mike McCallum, James Toney, the sr chavez.

It seems rare but you need a special guy with a built in fanbase to get really noticed coming up. Like a DLH, a Canelo, a Sugar Ray Leonard, Tyson.

Seems like a double edged sword. You work so hard to get to the top and then by the time people notice you, you're already towards the end of your career.

LOL but yea I think thats usually more correct then incorrect. When you think about it like that its more understandable why guys stick around longer + look towards the money over legacy.

Comment

this is why its good to overhype young guys just in case you strike it big with a canelo. canelo has ten more years of money in him. i dont see them letting him lose anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        LOL but yea I think thats usually more correct then incorrect. When you think about it like that its more understandable why guys stick around longer + look towards the money over legacy.
        Finally get famous then get yr ass beat for cash cuz u finally got a name.

Comment

True. I feel like there's a couple boxer this generation will get recognition in his prime. In willing to bet inoue if he keeps winning and is the goods he'll have worldwide recognition. Asian people always support Asian people. Also feel Spence have a chance. He's young and have an exciting style. He's also in a division that gets a lot of hype.

Comment

True. The only fighters that have the shine when they were in their primes are rare.

Comment

I think that makes it more fun to watch a ton of boxing, from Shobox cards or just the full undercards of big fights. Then you get to see all of those people without knowing for sure which ones will blow up and stuff.

I remember watching Spence about 4 years ago and thinking he was going to be super good. But by the time he fights Thurman and a few other big names after that he'll already be in his 30s.

Comment

boxers "primes" are lasting longer because of advances in health care , training techniques and peds

Comment

I blame the networks.

Comment

The fame usually coincides with a step up in competition (fighting better opponents/moving up in weight). Are they past prime or is the competition just better?

Comment

Working...
                    X