Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is greater? Thomas Hearns or Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is about as close as it gets comparison/ "pound for pound" wise.

Obviously Holmes was a HW, so couldn't compete any more weight classes.

Hearts dominated from 147 through 175 (to an extent above 160).

Holmes, IMO, has the overall greater record, staying undefeated for his prime (about 13 years - very good prime). he still remained competitive against top level competition for a few years thereafter.

Hearns, however, has the greater "achievements," if you will - by scaling up in weight so much, and with brutal wins over Duran, one of the top 3-5 ATG, IMO. And his clear win over Leonard, although ruled a draw, and against a slightly faded, yet still very, very good Leonard.

His war with Hagler, although a loss, is often cited as one of the most memorable three rounds ever.

So I think Holmes was probably the better, more well-rounded boxer, with a better record, but Hearns individual achievements (in certain fights, and his career, spanning so much weight), are greater.

I rule this a draw; indeed, one can make compelling, objective (and subjective) arguments why each one should be considered "greater."

Comment

I go with Hearns but it's just my subjective preference.

Comment

Thomas Hearns is my favorite boxer ever. Larry Holmes is my favorite heavyweight ever. I can't choose one over the other. So Larry Holmes get my vote to bring it one more vote closer to tie.

Comment

Larry Holmes may have one of the best jabs of all time, but hearns had such a evil snapping jab! I take Hearns over Holmes because of quality of opposition, would be a major threat to any welterweight in history and dominated several weight divisions

Comment

Holmes was the better fighter, and has the better legacy

Comment

Tommy hearns..

Both were greats but tommy has better dominant wins, while larry always seems to be in razor thin decisions..

Hearns beating benitez, duran, and virgil hill in the fashion he did puts him over the top for me

Comment

Originally posted by El Pistolero View Post
                The 'Hearns has a glass chin' is blown way out of proportion imo. At his natural/best weight, welterweight, he was only stopped ONCE and that was by Ray Leonard in the 14th round I think it was. Hearns suffered 2 more pure KO losses ABOVE the welterweight division, at middleweight against 2 massive punchers in Hagler and Barkley. The fact that it took Hearns to have to move up out of his best weight before getting sparked coupled with the fact that it took near enough 14 rounds for one of the best ever to knock out Hearns in his ONLY KO loss at welter makes the notion that any power punching welter would spark Tommy extremely ridiculous.
                I agree...

Comment

Larry I think was the better fighter, Hearns may have a few more tools in the tool box and probably has the better resume.

Comment

Working...
                  X