Personal training as a job

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal training as a job

how is it?

i'm only 20, perhaps not a permanent job, just an upgrade at least - or something that could lead to bigger things.

Well first you actually have to know a thing or two about training which, no offense judging by most of your posts in here, you don't seem to know a lot and are very dismissive of other types of training.

Personal Training at your local gym is meh, I've done it before and literally requires no credentials. I took an online course and got my certification (provided by the gym) in less than a week. And it really didn't teach me anything I already knew. Since I had already been lifting for a steady 7 years and have a solid amount of knowledge.

It's amazing how easily they will certify random idiots to train people.

Also don't expect Personal training at a local gym to be that great. Unlike you or I working out, not everyone is going to want to be subjected to how you or I train, and that can be very frustrating.

When you are trying to train someone and they can't keep up with you or struggle with certain exercises or have certain goals that differ from yours or worse, complain when you are training them.

PT at a local gym takes a lot of patience and usually the people you will be Personal Training will be old people or fat people looking "tone". That's what it will be like if you PT at, say the YMCA. If it's Golds or a more "hardcore" gym you may get different people with different goals in mind.

It's not a bad place to start, just don't expect to learn very much.

Being a personal trainer, owning your own gym, and having special clientele that you work with is something different entirely. That takes actual college education or a vast extensive amount of knowledge about training and running a business.

The ladder is exactly what I'm trying to do. Be a Strength Training Coach for atheltes.
    Last edited by TheNegation; 04-09-2010, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post
      Well first you actually have to know a thing or two about training which, no offense judging by most of your posts in here, you don't seem to know a lot and are very dismissive of other types of training.

Personal Training at your local gym is meh, I've done it before and literally requires no credentials. I took an online course and got my certification (provided by the gym) in less than a week. And it really didn't teach me anything I already knew. Since I had already been lifting for a steady 7 years and have a solid amount of knowledge.

Also don't expect Personal training at a local gym to be that great. Unlike you or I working out, not everyone is going to want to be subjected to how you or I train, and that can be very frustrating.

When you are trying to train someone and they can't keep up with you or struggle with certain exercises or have certain goals that differ from yours or worse, complain when you are training them.

PT at a local gym takes a lot of patience and usually the people you will be Personal Training will be old people or fat people looking "tone". That's what it will be like if you PT at, say the YMCA. If it's Golds or a more "hardcore" gym you may get different people with different goals in mind.

Being a personal trainer, owning your own gym, and having special clientele that you work with is something different entirely. That takes actual college education or a vast extensive amount of knowledge about training and running a business.

The ladder is exactly what I'm trying to do. Be a Strength Training Coach for atheltes.

what do you mean I don't know anything? because it;s not scientific? You haven't seen me. I've had to cut and gain weight. I have results under my belt.

I also hold the crossfit record at my gym for 47 pull ups in a row (perfect form). I bet you are just saying that because I didn't agree with some MMA statement you made.

Like getting big slows you down (which is true, I can testify to that, even just 5 lbs).

But that said, I'd like to go to school and learn more.

I just see a lot of bull**** on this forum that tricks meatheads into thinking putting on tons of muscle won't slow them down or make them tired. Long story short, It will. Your natural body weight is your quickest weight. I know it helps with the whole MMA look being big and all, but most athletic demands don't require massive size.
      Last edited by them_apples; 04-09-2010, 08:01 AM.

Comment

you get Apex certified? and well i've been a pt as well....far as at the gym with regular non athletic people it can be irritating most will lie to you as if your their parent lol its hard to help people if they dont tell you what they are eating..its not a bad gig if you enjoy helpen folks like that...you get the dedicated people wich are fun then you get the ones who dont listen and as one dude jus said its annoying...i now mainly stick to training athletes much better they listen a lot more

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          what do you mean I don't know anything? because it;s not scientific? You haven't seen me. I've had to cut and gain weight. I have results under my belt.

I also hold the crossfit record at my gym for 47 pull ups in a row (perfect form). I bet you are just saying that because I didn't agree with some MMA statement you made.

Like getting big slows you down (which is true, I can testify to that, even just 5 lbs).

I just see a lot of bull**** on this forum that tricks meatheads into thinking putting on tons of muscle won't slow them down or make them tired. Long story short, It will. Your natural body weight is your quickest weight. I know it helps with the whole MMA look being big and all, but most athletic demands don't require massive size.

I hope to god you fail at being a personal trainer and have zero clients.

You ****ing moron getting big is a vague term, getting bulky slows you down getting muscular symmetricly will make you faster,quicker and more explosive!!!

Before you reply with your comment just check out Joe Defrancos website.

Comment

This is why you will fail at personal training if you do it. You need to have an open mind especially if you plan on making it a career choice.

I'm not saying this because you disagree with **** I say, but like I said you and a lot of other people are dismissive of certain training methods that are proven and work, and tend to generalize weight lifting with putting on muscle and body building.

I could give a flying rats ass less how many pull ups you can do or what you've accomplished, and neither will your clients if you ever happen to become a PT. However your ignorance about weightlifting and your generalization and mentality of "if it doesn't work for me, it simply won't work" isn't going get you very far.

You need to stop thinking about what works for "me" and start learning because not everyone cares or is going to want to do what you do.
            Last edited by TheNegation; 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Box"K"ing View Post
              I hope to god you fail at being a personal trainer and have zero clients.

You ****ing moron getting big is a vague term, getting bulky slows you down getting muscular symmetricly will make you faster,quicker and more explosive!!!

Before you reply with your comment just check out Joe Defrancos website.
              MMA..lol

let me refraise it then, gaining weight slows you down. Even Jones Jr wasn't as fast at HW as he was at MW, only thing is his opponents were much slower.

You guys just like bulking and convince yourself it's ok because you are really only doing MMA or boxing to "look" tough. Reality check, most athletes don't put on endless amounts of weight for no reason. Bulking means putting on more muscle than your frame intends. I lift weights all the time and I did when I boxed as well, there is a difference. It's called not taking in 150 g's of protein a day if you are training to fight.

Look at GSP, he looks so blown up, imagine how big he would be if he moved down a weight class, and how much better his stamina would be?

You know how small GSP would look beside a 6'2 Chad Dawson (both weight around the same)

Also, you act like you are a conditioning expert yourself, but i'm just going by what works.
              Last edited by them_apples; 04-10-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

MMA..lol

let me refraise it then, gaining weight slows you down. Even Jones Jr wasn't as fast at HW as he was at MW, only thing is his opponents were much slower.

You guys just like bulking and convince yourself it's ok because you are really only doing MMA or boxing to "look" tough. Reality check, most athletes don't put on endless amounts of weight for no reason. Bulking means putting on more muscle than your frame intends. I lift weights all the time and I did when I boxed as well, there is a difference. It's called not taking in 150 g's of protein a day if you are training to fight.

Look at GSP, he looks so blown up, imagine how big he would be if he moved down a weight class, and how much better his stamina would be?

You know how small GSP would look beside a 6'2 Chad Dawson (both weight around the same)

Also, you act like you are a conditioning expert yourself, but i'm just going by what works.

Fine then you go out there and become a personal trainer and make a website to show your athlete/clients success stories then I will eat my word

Comment

MMA..lol
                  Joe Defranco has nothing to do with MMA. MMA fighters tend to put on weight more than boxers because weight advantages in MMA can actually be used.

Fine at least we cleared that up.

You guys just like bulking and convince yourself it's ok because you are really only doing MMA or boxing to "look" tough.
                  More stupidity? Go ahead and become a PT and then make fun of your clients for wanting achieve something. See how far you get doing that.

Reality check, most athletes don't put on endless amounts of weight for no reason.
                  That's because not all athletes rely on a strength and size advantage to complement their skills. Football Players and Mixed Martial Artists do.

GSP never bulked up until just recently. He's always been a natural 170. And even then, he gained 5lbs. I'd hardly call that bulking up.

Also, you act like you are a conditioning expert yourself
                  I never said I was

but i'm just going by what works.
                  Then find another choice of career because like I said just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And enjoy not having any clients after you demean them for what they want to accomplish if that so happens to be "bulking up"

Go ahead and lay your little "natural weight is all you need, lifting and bulking to look tough" speech and see how they react.
                  Last edited by TheNegation; 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Joe Defranco has nothing to do with MMA. MMA fighters tend to put on weight more than boxers because weight advantages in MMA can actually be used.

Fine at least we cleared that up.

More stupidity? Go ahead and become a PT and then make fun of your clients for wanting achieve something. See how far you get doing that.

That's because not all athletes rely on a strength and size advantage to complement their skills. Football Players and Mixed Martial Artists do.

GSP never bulked up until just recently. He's always been a natural 170. And even then, he gained 5lbs. I'd hardly call that bulking up.

I never said I was

Then find another choice of career because like I said just because it works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. And enjoy not having any clients after you demean them for what they want to accomplish if that so happens to be "bulking up"

Go ahead and lay your little "natural weight is all you need, lifting and bulking to look tough" speech and see how they react.

I'm not against weights or strength training. Just bulking up outside of your weight class for no reason. A lot of people do this, I'm sure you know it too.

At my boxing gym a lot of tall skinny guys want to become "Heavyweights" and lift lots of weights and drink shakes.

If a client wants to get muscular, there is no problem with that, it's when people think putting on tons of muscle (which is weight) won't slow you down in boxing or MMA.

there is a reason why MMA fighters aren't half as fast as boxers and that is the excessive muscle they pack on to there smaller frames. They all look like Roy Jones at HW. Roy was still quicker than everyone at Hw but not many people can do what he did, and I'm sure if he was hit by a HW punch he would have been done.

I know MMA is based on the ground, so I'm not writing it off saying it's stupid for them to put on muscle. If they need it, fine - I don't follow or practice MMA so I wouldn't know. just saying, I get burned for telling people that bulking up slows you down, when in fact it's true. If I went from 147 to 168 I would be much slower - and get tired quicker, even if it was lean muscle..it's the same heart having to pump blood only on a bigger muscle expansion. Doesn't take a genius to know this.

In fact, I feel bad for anyone who thinks otherwise, not vice versa.

EDIT: it's clear athletes are quicker now from in the 40's and 50's - i know we are doing some things right.
                    Last edited by them_apples; 04-10-2010, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X