No announcement yet.

A-Rod tested positive for roids.....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
    I would go with Manny Ramirez. He hits homeruns, hits for a high average and drives in runs. Both him and the Big Hurt had good approaches at the plate though. Rarely swinging at **** pitches, taking walks when needed, and a consistent swing. I just say Manny is better because he really hasn't slown down and Thomas towards the end of his career did.

I would say Barry Bonds, but he juiced so it's hard to say he's the best of this generation. Even though his swing was always good and his eye at the plate was one of the best. Rarely did he swing at anything out of the strike zone and his approach was the exact same every time. What steroids did for him was let him hit more home runs, but he's always been a good hitter.
    Well Frank had the injuries which really hurt him towards the end of his days in Chicago. From '91 to about '97 or '98 he was on a different level...same with Griffey. Frank had more plate discipline than pretty much any other power hitter around his time too. Man-Ram definitely doesn't have the K/BB ratio of Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
      Well Frank had the injuries which really hurt him towards the end of his days in Chicago. From '91 to about '97 or '98 he was on a different level...same with Griffey. Frank had more plate discipline than pretty much any other power hitter around his time too. Man-Ram definitely doesn't have the K/BB ratio of Frank.
      Your right. Franks plate discipline is legendary and he wasn't shy about taking a walk. I still put Manny over him because of his playoff accomplishments. He's proven time and time again that he's a clutch hitter that doesn't get tight in the tough situations. Frank didn't have the same kind of opportunities to prove himself, because of injuries and his team not being as good as Manny's, but with him we can only speculate what he could have done. With Manny it's already proven.

Comment

Originally posted by IncuFan View Post
        Great average hitter, but batting average can be overrated. He even said that. Definitely a great hitter no doubt about that, but his lack of RBI's and HR's I feel put other guys ahead of him.
        i see what you're saying. though i don't think you can overlook his ability to play situational ball, advance runners, lay bunts, or hit to anywhere on the field. i agree average is not everything, but obviously neither is slugging% or hrs. gwynn had certain intangibles that most players don't have.

tony gwynn is the first name that comes to mind when people bring up "the greatest hitter of this generation" debate, but i definitely see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by rj_ct View Post
          i see what you're saying. though i don't think you can overlook his ability to play situational ball, advance runners, lay bunts, or hit to anywhere on the field. i agree average is not everything, but obviously neither is slugging% or hrs. gwynn had certain intangibles that most players don't have.

tony gwynn is the first name that comes to mind when people bring up "the greatest hitter of this generation" debate, but i definitely see your point.
          I agree he's definitely up there and don't really have a problem with people saying he's the best hitter of this generation. I mean the guy was uncanny in making contact and hitting the ball where it was pitched. I just personally think Manny makes a bigger impact with driving in runs and HR's. Plus put him in almost any lineup and he makes the guy hitting in front of him or behind him that much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Concrete Punch View Post
            wow 104 players tested positive in 03!!! I'm telling you man people will always try to get an advantage in sports...... Always!!! and where there is millions the extremes and regularity will always be there.

104 fuken players!!!! and the MLB has never said **** about it lol. I wonder what the number of people in the nba and nfl doing it are?
            Add boxing and MMA to that.

My opinion, if you're an athlete that puts butts on the seats, then those in power will probably find a way to keep it hush.

I personally know someone who used 'roids in High school, when he played for UCLA and also played for the Vikes and Bears, guess what, the guy I'm talkin' about has or had been in the league for about 8 years and he only got caught recently. Imagine that, from high school all the way to the pros and he just got caught recently.

RJJ also tested positive for one of his fights, but his opponent that night also tested positive, guess which result was put out to the media?

Yeah, RJJ's results were kept hush. I also think that GSP is on some **** too.

Comment

in b4 A-Roid becomes his moniker

Comment

Originally posted by jack_the_rippuh View Post
                I still don't understand why someone would need steroids to play a sport like baseball.
                Barry Bonds got jelous of McGwuire breaking the record, then he took steroids and broke the record a year later. They can turn a decent hitter good, a good hitter great, and a great hitter untouchable.

Sammy Sosa was nothing before he allegedly took roids. Rafael Palmero's numbers suddenly got very good the year Canseco said he started giving him roids.

At this point I figure most good players took roids. And I really dont even care anymore. I still wonder if Griffey did though.

Comment

its sad to see these guys juice...a-rod, bonds and clemens never needed to use steroids... i can understand trying to break into the league and get some paychecks.. but these guys have all-world talent. juice or not, all three would have gone down as some of the best to ever do it but now, its tainted.. i used to defend barry, he is one of my favorite athletes ever but he needed to feed that massive ego of his and it bit him in the ass...

ken griffey will go down as the best player of this era.

Comment

Originally posted by The Fix View Post
                    its sad to see these guys juice...a-rod, bonds and clemens never needed to use steroids... i can understand trying to break into the league and get some paychecks.. but these guys have all-world talent. juice or not, all three would have gone down as some of the best to ever do it but now, its tainted.. i used to defend barry, he is one of my favorite athletes ever but he needed to feed that massive ego of his and it bit him in the ass...

ken griffey will go down as the best player of this era.
                    Yeah I agree it is. All those guys would have been HOF's even without steroids. It's just like Antonio and you mentioned ego's got in the way. Somebody like Barry saw McGwire and Sosa get all sorts of attention for their home run race and I don't think he liked the fact two guys that weren't even half as good as him get all that attention. Then unfortunately the MLB rules at the time left an opening for guys to use. Thinking hey I could use this and not get caught because there are no tests. Barry IMO was a great hitter even without steroids. His ego got him caught up in the HR chase.

Comment

that's why I don't watch baseball

Comment

Working...
                      X