No announcement yet.

Was Marciano's Chin Overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Marciano's Chin Overrated?

It seems we have people here who believe Marciano's Chin was overrated so I have provided this poll to see what everyone thinks.

Now before everyone goes and says Charles was old and Walcott was old and were blown up Cruiserweights for their answer I just put it there and thats not a reason both were considered tremendeous punchers and greats themselves, so come up with a better reason than that.
    Yes overrated
    37.04%
    No not overrated
    62.96%

Originally posted by rocco1252
    It seems we have people here who believe Marciano's Chin was overrated so I have provided this poll to see what everyone thinks.

Now before everyone goes and says Charles was old and Walcott was old and were blown up Cruiserweights for their answer I just put it there and thats not a reason both were considered tremendeous punchers and greats themselves, so come up with a better reason than that.
    the biggest puncher marciano ever faced was a 93 year old joe louis, so beating him is nothing special. marciano never took good shots from big punchers. walcott is not a big puncher period, neither is moore at hw. so yes, marciano's chin is highly overrated. in terms of best chins, marciano's name shouldn't be even mentioned with the likes of chuvalo, tua, foreman, or ali.

Comment

Foreman had a decent chin, he falls short of a great chin, he was ko by Ali. And knockdown a few times.

Top chins are Ali, Robinson, Lamatta, Jim Jeffies, Fullmer, Baslo, and Barney Ross.

Others are there of couse. But I would never say Foreman had a great chin on the level of say the raging Bull or Ali. Foreman could be knockdown or knockout.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey1238
        Foreman had a decent chin, he falls short of a great chin, he was ko by Ali. And knockdown a few times.

Top chins are Ali, Robinson, Lamatta, Jim Jeffies, Fullmer, Baslo, and Barney Ross.

Others are there of couse. But I would never say Foreman had a great chin on the level of say the raging Bull or Ali. Foreman could be knockdown or knockout.
        foreman was ko'd by ali cause he was tired. ali's power didn't knockout foreman, it was big george's poor stamina. marciano was knocked down by one punch more than once when he was fresh and by low level punchers on top of that, so no way marciano has a better chin than foreman.

Comment

I never mention the Rock's chin. I think its about the level of Foreman, but also the 2 punchs that knock Marciano down were more of poor footing(Like standing on one foot vs Moore) than being hurt.

Foreman was down a few times too many vs Ron Layle for my taste.

Foreman does not compare to say Jake or Ross's chin.

Lamatta was never knockdown in his prime, and was shot when it did happen, and Ross was never knockout.

Comment

I would say Marcianos chin is overrated, but there is no denying it was solid. Overrated because he never faced anyone renowned for huge power. If he had stuck around, and fought liston, and his chin held up then yes he deserves the credit for being able to take a punch. His chin was solid, but i think his stamina and will to win is the reason he was able to absorb so much punishment.

Comment

The man was only knocked down twice, never stopped and faced some pretty hard bangers..who's names escape me at the moment...before he ever won the title.

Not to mention from a sheer volume of punches he took throughout his championship reign. His defense was underrated; but he still took some monster flush shots and wasn't stopped once. That left hook Walcott dropped him with in round 1 of the first fight was essientially the same punch he knocked Charles onto Queer Street with....Rock got up and kept coming.

I think when you look at a relatively small heavyweight who fought bigger men...who's defense wasn't superb....who caught alot of shots flush...and who was only knocked down twice in a 49 fight career and never stopped, you have to say he had whiskers of steel.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                foreman was ko'd by ali cause he was tired. ali's power didn't knockout foreman, it was big george's poor stamina. marciano was knocked down by one punch more than once when he was fresh and by low level punchers on top of that, so no way marciano has a better chin than foreman.
                you complain when people say ali was knocked down by cooper. but he was caught off balance. so was marciano those 2 knockdowns, and i only see you criticizing him for it. it had nothing to do with his chin he was caught perfectly with his foot off the ground. walcott was good at catching people like that, thats why he knocked down louis 3 or 4 times.

Comment

Originally posted by NextRocky
                  you complain when people say ali was knocked down by cooper. but he was caught off balance. so was marciano those 2 knockdowns, and i only see you criticizing him for it. it had nothing to do with his chin he was caught perfectly with his foot off the ground. walcott was good at catching people like that, thats why he knocked down louis 3 or 4 times.
                  i'll give you that, but marciano's chin was never really tested against really big punchers like chuvalo, tua, ali, and foreman was.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
                    the biggest puncher marciano ever faced was a 93 year old joe louis, so beating him is nothing special. marciano never took good shots from big punchers. walcott is not a big puncher period, neither is moore at hw. so yes, marciano's chin is highly overrated. in terms of best chins, marciano's name shouldn't be even mentioned with the likes of chuvalo, tua, foreman, or ali.
                    Blatantly Biased observation, Butterfly.

Comment

Working...
                    X