Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedro sosa in coma UPDATE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible. R.i.p. to that poor girl. Best wishes to Pedro Sosa for a speedy recovery and condolences to the family and all concerned.

Comment

Sounds like Sosa should make it...such a tragedy...

I hope Sosa can make a full recovery, he was one of the best at 141 in the country ( was the best in New York for years)...tough dude from what I hear, I've seen a couple of his fights and been to his gym in the Bronx, them boys go at it.

Pedro, Louis Cruz, and Marcos Suarez all train together...I think they all can be good pros...all are Golden Glove champions
      Last edited by -EX-; 11-01-2011, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I hope he pulls out of the coma and is capableof getting back into boxing. Of course not right away, a couple years. He is still young so if he is able to make a fully recovery than he is still able to accomplish his dreams.

Comment

Yeah, they made front page on the NY DAILY NEWS yesterday. Very sad story. May God be with. RIP to the sister. Sometime bad things happen to good people. This can serves as a notice for NY'ers to mind their business, because sometimes trying to help others, you can hurt yourself.

Comment

Pedro Sosa stable after surgery

By ESPN's Michael Woods:

Pedro Sosa, the South Bronx amateur boxing star who was struck by a car on the Cross Bronx Expressway on Sunday morning, is in stable condition after a five-hour surgery at Jacobi Medical Center on Monday afternoon.

Sosa, 19, was in a coma following the traffic incident which claimed the life of his 20-year-old sister, Jennifer. The pair was thrown from an overpass and fell 75 feet to the pavement. Sosa still is unconscious, but his trainer, Marcos Suarez, told ESPNNewYork.com on Monday night that the surgery went well and doctors are hoping the fighter will regain consciousness in the next couple of days.

Sosa, a top-ranked amateur at 141 pounds who almost made the 2012 Olympic squad, was due to sign a professional contract on Monday with Oscar De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions. Suarez said that he was going to sign a contract in the Manhattan office of noted manager Shelly Finkel and have his first pro bout in the next two months.

The 43-year-old Suarez said Sosa has broken ribs and damage to his liver and one lung. Those injuries aren't deemed severe, he said. Friends and family were overjoyed to get the results of a CT scan, which showed no brain damage. Also, Sosa's spine was unaffected by the fall and Suarez said it looks like there is no indication that Sosa's ability to move will be hampered.

"The most important thing is his health, then God willing he can start little by little maybe in a year or two to train as a boxer," said the trainer, who first began to work with the boxer almost 10 years ago. "He's still young. Pedro Sosa will be a famous champion. He's a special kid. This kid doesn't go out, he's really humble and he never disrespects anybody. He's a different breed, like no other."

Michael Woods writes about boxing for ESPNNewYork.com and ESPN the Magazine, and is the editor of TheSweetScience.com.

Comment

Working...
            X