No announcement yet.

Ray Robinson and Joe Louis - Strengths and weaknesses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Robinson and Joe Louis - Strengths and weaknesses

What would you say the strengths and weaknesses are of these two fighters? What particular things did they do right and wrong in the ring?

both have been described as perfect fighters who did everything right and made very little mistakes.

Can you point out their strengths or even certain flaws they made when they fought.I remember reading something about Max Schmeling noticing a certain bad habit Joe Louis would often do when he fought and he studied him and made him pay for his mistake.

Did Louis learn from his mistake after his fight? And what about Sugar Ray Robinson.Did he ever make any mistakes or was he just that skilled.

I've never watched a full fight of either,Are there many of their fights out there?

What fights should I watch of theirs to see them at their very best?

I just watch boxing to be honest and don't really study it so forgive me for coming across as a newb.

Max Schmeling noticed a flaw in Louis' style. It was that after Louis would shoot a jab, he would bring his hand down. This allowed Schmeling to shoot his straight right (which was his best punch).

I guess after that Louis did improve his style a bit. He ended up knocking out Schmeling in 1 round in their rematch. He would go on to defend his championship for 12 years with 25 title defenses. So yes, you can say he improved.

As for Ray Robinson, I dont think there's that much footage of him in his prime. I think there's some posters on this forum who might have his fights so they might reply. I'd ask TheGreatA. He always has good videos.

There's good fights of him past his prime where he still looked amazing.

Try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l2PC5It1HI

Comment

When you talk about weaknesses with Ray Robinson, you're basically nitpicking. The only thing I can think of, is against better inside brawlers (SRR was a hell of one himself) he could get pulled into those brawls and lose some exchanges (i.e first LaMotta Fight, Basillio) However, if you exploit a SRR "weakness" you better never fight him again, cuz he will tighten it up...lol

Comment

Originally posted by mike ruler View Post
        When you talk about weaknesses with Ray Robinson, you're basically nitpicking. The only thing I can think of, is against better inside brawlers (SRR was a hell of one himself) he could get pulled into those brawls and lose some exchanges (i.e first LaMotta Fight, Basillio) However, if you exploit a SRR "weakness" you better never fight him again, cuz he will tighten it up...lol
        Louis could get caught and whilst he had good footwork it wasn't absolutely top notch.
        Robinson could get outbrawled at times.
        But noticing their few weaknesses before they exploit yours is another question.
        You have to give great credit to Schmelling in the 1st fight because the only way to exploit it was to stand in the eye of the storm and take the punishment. Second fight the storm blew him away I guess to keep on the theme

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          Louis could get caught and whilst he had good footwork it wasn't absolutely top notch.
          Robinson could get outbrawled at times.
          But noticing their few weaknesses before they exploit yours is another question.
          You have to give great credit to Schmelling in the 1st fight because the only way to exploit it was to stand in the eye of the storm and take the punishment. Second fight the storm blew him away I guess to keep on the theme
          louis could get caught early by a flash knockdown, like in the braddock fight

Comment

Louis had poor defense and slow feet.

Robinson really didn't have many accept that he stood his ground often times when he didn't have to, shouldn't have.

you can also say there is room for improvement, example, Robinson had quick hands but not the quickest, he punched hard but not the hardest etc.

no glaring weaknesses for Robinson though. there should be a pros list to. we can even pick Ali apart just as easily.
            Last edited by them_apples; 09-15-2009, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Robinson had no huge weaknesses that handicapped him, like say the way Hearns' chin lost him so many big fights, but he still had weaknesses. He was relatively open defensively, he had a solid defence at times, but he was definitely hittable. He also traded a bit too much, and left himself open when he went in for the kill. But as I said, no huge weaknesses.

Louis didn't have the best chin. It wasn't glass, but it definitely wasn't anything to brag about. He was also pretty open definsively and was heavy and slow on his feet.

Comment

Sugar ray

Two significant weaknesses of Sugar Ray Robinson
                .his ego and the decision to fight well past his prime.

But, despite these two flaws, he is the best of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by zelley View Post
                  Two significant weaknesses of Sugar Ray Robinson
                  .his ego and the decision to fight well past his prime.

But, despite these two flaws, he is the best of the best.
                  That can be said about ne fighter ever.

Comment

Joe Louis never punched unless he had BOTH feet planted.

So if you could keep him moving,keep him turning,he couldn't plant both feet to punch like he wanted to.

Louis also lacked good head movement,and was not very fast on his feet.

Joe also had trouble fighting while moving backwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X